Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sampler

Blog Entries
    That's what a sample is, one of these, one of those, maybe 2 of that........
    Go for it and post pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    That's EXACTLY how I started and finished my sampler quilt, I made about 20 blocks in the end, as my skills improved I found I went 'off' some of my first attempts, I didn't think any further than each block at a time, so I was never daunted!!

Here's a picture of the finished quilt, no pattern used and still on my bed after two years!!
    your sampler quilt is very beautiful! I love the colors. I will have to bookmark it so I can remenber the blocks

That's EXACTLY how I started and finished my sampler quilt, I made about 20 blocks in the end, as my skills improved I found I went 'off' some of my first attempts, I didn't think any further than each block at a time, so I was never daunted!!

Here's a picture of the finished quilt, no pattern used and still on my bed after two years!!
    Your quilt is a work of art. Just beautiful.

My only suggestion is to use the same shades for the backgrounds of the different blocks so they will go together without clashing.

Quote Originally Posted by ann clare
    No quilt police. The choice is all yours. Enjoy.
    Exactly! This is supposed to be fun. There are no "wrong decisions", just "creative thinking". Have fun! :thumbup:

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by julybaby8

Your quilt is a work of art. Just beautiful.
    Thanks all of you for your wonderful comments, I am very proud of it, it took two years in the making, but I played with lots of other projects at the same time too!!

here'is a link or two about it:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-4544-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-11817-1.htm

I quilted it all on my Janome 9000, did it in two halves!!

There are lots of pictures posted through the whole topics if you want to see close ups :thumbup:

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Just choose fabrics that coordinate and can be used (in whatever proportion) with the combo of blocks.

why not -it's your quilt and great way to learn something new

If the quilt police come after you, they should check with me first. I'm working my way through the book '501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks' by Judy Hopkins (hence my username and blog). I've done 87 12" squares so far. It's a great way to hone your skills! I use the squares to make lap quilts, practice quilting, whatever. Have fun and don't worry about it. There are no rules. Use your creative juices and enjoy the journey!

Great Idea! Show us when you are done.

This is supposed to be a fun hobby. I think that a sampler of whatever strikes your fancy would be wonderful.

Have fun! Cheers, K

You must have rogue policemen where you are!

Quilting is supposed to be fun. What I like about samplers versus regular quilts is that I learned a new technique for each block. I was never concerned about making my first queen and how it was going or anything else that could have made me nervous. I learned so much that I might even be an advanced beginner now! At least I no longer refuse to make a pattern just because it has triangles in it. It's not that I was scared of them, I just don't like them.

Here are my two samplers. Both came directly from quilter's cache, also based on level of difficulty. The way she explains them though, the directions are great. There are some 3 and 4 pin difficulties in mine!

http://static.quiltingboard.com/uplo...ith_border.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...20made/087.jpg

Love it! I can see why it is still on your bed!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Sure cure:

Stand before your bathroom mirror.
    Look yourself in the eye.
    Repeat after me 10 times:
    "There ARE no quilt police."
    Now, stick your tongue out and go, "Pppfffftttt!"
    You will be redeemed of all thoughts and fears of supposed-to's", what if's, may-I-shouldn't's, and the fear of non-existent quilt police.
    Smile knowingly.

Hugs!
    Jan in VA

sampler quilts are absolutely stunning! My very first quilt was a sampler one - and was surprised at how well it turned out!

What ever makes you happy!!! To me Quilt Police are basically unhappy people who want to pull others into their misery.

That is exactly what I am doing. It started out as a prairie sampler, but I wanted it bigger so I am just making random squares with whatever fabric I have. I think it will be beautiful. So will yours. This also gives me an idea of squares that I will use again and ones I won't.

I always think of a sampler quilt as a great learning tool. Later you can use it as a technique reference. When I started quilting I picked patterns that would challenge my skill levels. I kept it uniform by using an anchor fabric in the sashings and a limited color palette. that way if I was having trouble I could tell my self..it is only one block. Having said that...remember the quilt is your creation, do what you want and quilt police be banished.

That sounds like a wonderful idea!

I agree with everyone else. It is your quilt you do it the way you want.
    But we need to see pictures when you are finished. :-) :)
    The greatest quilters think out of the box and do what they like.

Blog Entries
    I think the quilterscache idea is great. You will have lots of well-armed soldiers behind you should the quilt police come to your door. We'll defend you, won't we?

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    (I also knit and have very long needles at the ready).
    This made me giggle out loud! Topped off my day!

That is the beauty of quilting. Do what makes you happy since it will be your quilt. I get bored making one block 20-30 times so a Sampler is perfect. And you can choose your own fabrics as well. A win win deal IMHO. Have fun with it is the main thing.

Have fun, pick blocks that look fun or interesting to you and you will have fun learning! I've learned many different techniques making samplers and tried things that would have intimidated me if I had to make 20 or 30 of them for a quilt. If I make a 12 inch block that doesn't come out right its easy to toss and make something else.

Thanks everyone! For some good giggles and validating my thinking.

After my CO trip I'll have to get over to Whittles and pick out some fabric for a sampler, quilts for my sofas and to generally stock up so I'm prepared for any price increases!

Don't know that I will really get to start the sampler this year as there are 2 twin scrappys that need 1 more back then finished, 2 wallhanging projects and the sofa quilts that all happen before really working on the sampler. But maybe a block or 2 can get squeezed in here and there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast