Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandwiching a quilt. >

Sandwiching a quilt.

Sandwiching a quilt.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I sandwich mine on my cutting table using binder clips. I'm standing; not crawling around on the floor. The table is actually a bit higher than I would like ideally for a cutting height but it works a charm for sandwiching! My knees would give out long before the quilt was done - even a baby quilt if I did it on my knees on the floor.
I do this as well. I'm two borders away from needing to sandwich another quilt. Maybe that is why the borders are still pinned and not sewn. Sandwiching is easily one of my least favorite parts of the project.

Cheers, K
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I am absolutely in the same boat as Pumpkin patch and Dunster. I hated sandwiching with such a red hot passion it was one of the top 5 reasons I got LA!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

I quit basting the traditional way because it was boring and time consuming. I use either basting spray, Hobbs fusible batting or Pinmoors for twin size or smaller quilts and larger quilts I let a local LA baste if for me. I do QAYG in sections for most of my quilts and the Pinmoors work great for the smaller sections.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by OCquilter View Post
I use the Sharon Schamber board method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
I've only done up to a twin size but will soon try a queen size. I do it on a 6 ft banquet folding table (my cutting table on risers) This has saved me a lot of grief.
I now use this method on all my quilts ( FMQ or hand quilting) and found it's the easiest on all body parts!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM

JoyceR, I loved the video you shared. Using skewers to mark the center so you can feel it through the layers was a really good idea.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM

I've been using the Elmer's glue method and LOVE it! It's so much easier than pinning or basting (both of which I hate). You can iron the glue dry, if you're in a hurry, or just leave it and let it air dry.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 PM

I bought one of those tag guns years ago when I made a lap quilt for a quad friend of mine it worked great (not knowing anything about quilting at the time) I still have it but haven't seen the plastic red tags lately anywhere.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

I have never sandwiched a quilt on the floor - they would need a tow truck to get me off the floor once I got down there. Some of you may know - the old grey knees aren't what they used to be. I used to use my large DR table, which was nearly 5 feet wide and at least 6 feet long, and I would tape the backing, then batting and then the quilt top down, pin baste, then roll up the quilt until I got it all sandwiched. Not only can't I get down on the floor any longer, but I have a hard time standing and pinning, so this worked for me. I could also enlist the help of my husband occasionally on some of the larger quilts, get him to help pin baste, but I would then go back and add pins where needed. This seemed to have worked well for me. We have moved to an apt. so I couldn't bring that table with me, but I use my DR table in much the same way. They say necessity is the Mother of invention. As much as I would like a long arm, I neither have the funds nor the space to use one. Hope this helps a little with your basting.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Thank you all for the information, I think Sharon Schamber's board method - using Elmers Glue is going to be what I try when I get that far.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by psquared52 View Post
I never liked the sandwiching part of making a quilt. Finally tried spray basting and it has made an incredible difference. It's quick and effective. I no longer crawl around on the floor, use hundreds of pins or have wrinkles/tucks when I FMQ. I no longer dread the sandwiching process and will never do it any other way. I admit to being afraid of it initially but WOW...what a difference it has made for me!
I'm with you, Psquared, on this! I actually like sandwiching now and that wasn't the case in the past. I clear my work table, enlist the help of my dear husband and we spread the back, smooth it, lay the batting and then lift a third at a time and spray baste. Once the bottom is sprayed to the batting, we gently place the top, spray the same way and then I go over the quilt and use pinmoors to secure it so I can twist and pull it through my domestic sewing machine. Piece of cake!