Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: sasquatch quilt.

sasquatch quilt.

I know this is a long shot but has anyone here made a realistic sasquatch quilt or wall hanging? I am wanting to try to do this but am in no way artistic . I need some ideas.

Thanks!

Maybe you could get one to pose for you? ;-)

Seriously, how does a sasquatch quilt become realistic?

I would make just a forest scene with some *very* suspicious footprints.
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Maybe you could get one to pose for you? ;-)

Seriously, how does a sasquatch quilt become realistic?
    Not nice, I am being serious, this is important to me . I knew I should have kept it to my self. I was trying to get accross that I do not want a cartoon image.

Blog Entries
    http://www.google.com/search?q=sasqu...w=1041&bih=599

There are a lot of images at this site; perhaps you can make one of these work for your quilt. Keep us posted.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    Not nice, I am being serious, this is important to me . I knew I should have kept it to my self. I was trying to get accross that I do not want a cartoon image.
    Raedar63 - Go for it! There are no rules so whatever you come up with will be great. I don't know what this would look like but am very interested. I found this site that has some great footage you could use for ideas. Hope this helps.

http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/books.php
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Have you thought about doing a siloette? They have an effect that captures the illusiveness of this creature. I live close to Foulke where the Foulke Monster is famous. (Also a sasquatch) Be sure to post when you get it done. I just sold some Forest animal fabric that would have worked very well for that. You could have placed a siloette walking in the forest.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I think I will go with a silhouette and build a forrest around it so that it may not be immediatly visible to the viewer. A wall hanging it is! I can't wait to start on this!

Thanks for the links It will give me inspiration I plan on this being an art/landscape type piece.

Further ideas are also welcome !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    raedar, i don't think dunster was being not nice. I read the first line as being a joke due to the wink. And her second line, i read as that of a skeptic... not all of us believe that sasquatch is real. Your question is perfectly legitimate. My thought was that picture that is often shown of a silhouette in the woods, as others have suggested. Keep us updated on your progress, please
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    raedar, i don't think dunster was being not nice. I read the first line as being a joke due to the wink. And her second line, i read as that of a skeptic... not all of us believe that sasquatch is real. Your question is perfectly legitimate. My thought was that picture that is often shown of a silhouette in the woods, as others have suggested. Keep us updated on your progress, please

Maybe, but it struck me wrong, and I will fefrain from asking for suggestions with my bizzar projects in the future. I am a skeptic of all of the "religion" overtones on here but do not make comments ;
    I am very excited to start this project but usually do not post photos of my work on here due to comments I read a while back that went something like "really they are giving that as a gift?"
    Again I want to thank everyony for all the suggestions, I already have a rough skecth drawn out to take to a local artist to make me up a pattern that I can do a layered applique with as I am certianly not a good skecther lol

maybe a wheres waldo type looking thing sounds perfect to me. You will have to post a pic of it when you are done. And as for the religious overtones i have never noticed that and i haven't ever seen anyone say a real negative post about a pic. everyone has always seemed very supportive and if they do say something not so nice there are tons on here who call them on it. I would really like to see the quilt you come up with I think that it is a very cool idea.
    Last edited by sahm4605; 02-03-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Raedar63, I can't wait to see your wall hanging! Please post a photo when you get it done.

I think the idea of a "Where's Waldo" type of forest with the face hidden in the background is a great way to portray Sasquatch.

One thing about this board, ALL ideas are good ones! Don't let the naysayers get you down. Just do it (and show us what you wind up doing)!

Power Poster
    That is kind of a hard one for sure. With that being said, I would seriously look at art work from the movie industry. Wasn't there a movie not too long ago about a sasquatch that lived with a family? You might get some ideas from their artwork. I fully support all artistic endeavours and hope you find what you are looking for.

I don't see whats bizzar about sasquach. I've seen unicorns,even dragon quilts. Please show a picture when you are done I am relearning quilting and you gave me courage with your sasquach!! I'm going to try something more ambitious than squares sooner rather than later!! So thankyou and happy quilting!!
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Wasn't there a movie not too long ago about a sasquatch that lived with a family?
    Harry and the Hendersons. It was a cute movie. But it was from 1987. Google images of either Bigfoot or Sasquatch and you will get loads of ideas and interpretations. I think a subtle shadow/sillouette that is camoflauged and hard to spot in the quilt would be the best idea. Google images of Bev Doolittle's artwork to get an idea of what I am talking about. She does great hidden images in her art.

I would like to make one for my grandson, he is a big fan of the hairy guy.
    Have been trying to decide how to start it; also to end it.

delma

Blog Entries
    I love Harry and the Hendersons. With all of the nature fabric selections, you should have no trouble finding the right surround. (He is a forest dweller). Good luck. One of my colleagues is an avid follower of all things Sasquatch and he will not let anyone deter him. Sounds like a good attitude to me.

You said that you read negative comments about people's choice of gifts. On here? I must not be checking the same threads because I read lots of encouragement and positive comments. But then - this is a large group and there are always nasty birds in every flock.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    What a great idea for a Art quilt this Board sure has alot of creative members. Would love to see what you come up with. I think Harry's adorable.

Raedar, Maybe you can use fabric from bear fabric panels for it's fur. Have seen several realistic looking ones. I also like realistic nature scenes with wildlife. Finding fabrics that aren't cartoon-ish is a challenge but can be found. Recently cut a snow tiger panel to make realistic feathers on a snow owl

Found this link for fabric; hope it helps
    http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fab...=SASQUATCHFUR1

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    Raedar, Maybe you can use fabric from bear fabric panels for it's fur. Have seen several realistic looking ones. I also like realistic nature scenes with wildlife. Finding fabrics that aren't cartoon-ish is a challenge but can be found. Recently cut a snow tiger panel to make realistic feathers on a snow owl
    I absolutly love realistic owls too! That is a wonderful Idea. I may have some fabric I used to make a buffalo was hanging I am going to see If I have enough scrap of this!

I would do a silhouette image as well. I think that would be the best route to take. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

I would do this as a mixed media project, batiks and couched yarn, making your squash etherial.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast