Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Satin Ribbon Binding? >

Satin Ribbon Binding?

Satin Ribbon Binding?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:01 AM

Default Satin Ribbon Binding?

I'm looking for 2 inch Satin ribbon, the kind we used to have back in the '80's, not the kind we have today which is just acetate. I'm pretty sure the acetate will just melt away over time, or bleed, or something awful. I think the old kind was cotton, but I'm not sure. It was good quality, and just for sewing.

I have seen satin blanket binding, and could use that, but I'm wondering what others have experienced with this. Does it wash well, bleed, unravel heavily?

I'd prefer the ribbon, because it's already edged, and I would just fold over. Does anyone know who has that and if it worked well?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 AM

I think JoAnns and Hobby Lobby have it. I have bought ribbon from both of them. Hobby Lobby over JoAnns
Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 AM

I've bought satin ribbon at Joanns. The one by my house has a good selection.

One thing about the old satin binding. It wore out faster than the blanket it was on, too. I have several old blankets and the binding in all of them is worn thru.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:07 PM

I used satin blanket binding double like I would the doubled and folded regular binding. Sew and turn so the edge is double. Not sure how long it will last but so far on the quilts I've done (small baby or throw size) seems to be fine.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:50 PM

I am not sure what you are going to use it for, but I like to use satin to make ruffles for quilts. The little girls love it.I get what I use from Fabric.com and it works well. It seems to hold up - but the oldest one is only 5 years old. But the ruffle is still looking good. I do use fray block on the cut edges just to be sure the raveling doesn't happen. Washes well and no bleeding
http://www.fabric.com/find?SearchText=slipper+satin

Last edited by meyert; 09-15-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:59 PM

I've used the Wright's satin blanket binding for years and it seems to hold up great. My nephew has a blanket bound with it that I made nearly six years ago and it gets dragged around, put the winger, washed weekly and the fabric has faded a titch and the binding is totally fine
Old 09-15-2016, 06:20 PM

Talking I've decided . . .

cashs_mom: I remember those blankets, and now that you mention it, I do remember the satin wearing off, too. I think they were pretty old blankets, over 10 years, but your point is a good one.

meyert: What's fray block? This sounds like something I need. Those are awesome satins on fabric.com. It gives me all kinds of pillowcase ideas! Did you know you can return cut fabric to them, and get a refund? I did it last week, because the photo was so far off from the colors I got, and that's $10 I can put toward something I like better.

Everyone: I gave the quilt a good hard look, and I'm thinking I'll just bind it with fabric after all. I loved the feel of the satin edging on the blankets cashs mom was talking about, it was so comforting. Big fuzzy, slightly rough blankets, with 2 inches of smooth satin for contrast. My blanket from those days pilled like crazy, but the satin made me keep it longer than I should have.
They were great.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinglearner View Post
I remember those blankets...My blanket from those days pilled like crazy, but the satin made me keep it longer than I should have. They were great.
Same here, lol.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I've bought satin ribbon at Joanns. The one by my house has a good selection.

One thing about the old satin binding. It wore out faster than the blanket it was on, too. I have several old blankets and the binding in all of them is worn thru.
also my experience with satin binding. It doesn't hold up to use
Old 09-16-2016, 11:25 AM

I have replaced the satin blanket binding on an old blanket (nearly 50 years) at least twice, because the blanket size fits our bed better than current sizes! I would not use sbb on a quilt.