Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saving money on rotary blades >

Saving money on rotary blades

Saving money on rotary blades

Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I just buy my fiskar blades at walmart too. I use so many because I cut ans sew so much.

Someone on here, a while back suggested a deal of 10 blades for a cheaper price. I tried them and the dull fiskar blades cut much better than those.

From now on I will stick with fiskar.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 PM

I ordered the Ormkraft blades. They got here really fast. Think I will go and try them out. (5 minutes later) OMG they are SHARP!!! So Canadian pricing including tax and flat rate shipping these work out to less than $4 a blade. For those of you in the US they will be even cheaper.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:32 PM

I've been using the same blade for quite a while now. I sharpen them with a piece of aluminum foil. I just cut a few strips of the foil with the blade and it works amazingly well!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:15 PM

Default Great Blades

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
Try eBay. I just checked and for $11.99 and free shipping you can get 5 45mm Friskar blades from a 100% positive vendor. I buy Olfa blades from ebay.
I too, buy my blades from eBay but only from one manufacturer - Diamond Cutter American Quilting Blade! The 45mm cost [email protected] - 60mm cost $19.99 for 10. I love these blades they seem to stay sharp forever - I've made 8 Queen size quilts with the one I have in my 60mm cutter right now. I've been ordering them by the hundreds for my local quilting guild because buying in bulk reduces the price to about a $1.00 per blade. We all use the different cutters Olfa, Fiskars, Clover, Dritz, True Cut and so far every one has been very happy with the blades.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:17 PM

Look. Good to know, Sewfew. I'll check it out.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

The secret to the blade sharpeners is use them on a sharp blade to keep the blade sharp. Don't wait until the blade is dull. Ever see a knife lover not whet their knife blade before using? I sharpen a sharp blade before each cutting session. My blade last for months before skipping if I don't get a nick in it. The fist skip I replace it.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:24 PM

I've had good luck with the Harbor Freight carpet cutters but I also buy Martelli blades when there's a 50% off sale. Sorry, I'm no help whatsoever.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I like these, she has a money back guarantee and I have not had a bad one yet and the price is right. I have gotten into the habit of replacing my blades when I start a new project (I've been sewing lots of king and queen size lately) so I am happy with these and so is my fabric.
https://www.amazon.com/Rotary-Cutter...+cutter+blades
I just ordered these today. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:11 AM

Try eBay. I once bought a "lot" (not "a lot ") of brand blades for $1 apiece. Haven't run out yet. Also more likely to get rid of a dull blade. I have a sharpener that buys a few more cuts but doesn't sharpen like new.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:03 AM

I still have several packages of the Harbor Freight blades that I will never use. In my humble opinion, they won't cut hot butter. Been checking websites for coupons for 40 to 50% off at Michael's, Hobby Lobby that I can use on blades plus ordering from Missouri Star, Quilt in a Day etc whenever they have a pack on sale. Currently I'm about 15 blades ahead of myself. If the blade isn't sharp I'm not a happy quilter!