Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scallop edge question >

scallop edge question

scallop edge question

Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 AM

Default scallop edge question

I am going to make my first scallop edge quilt (and I am excited). I have the template ordered and should have this soon. I watched MSQC video, which helped alot. But I do have a couple of questions. (You Tube doesn't answer questions very well)

She said to measure the length of the quilt and subtract 4" that will show you how many 8" scallops you can have. What if my quilt measurement doesn't work with an even 8" scallop? Do I have to cut it down? (example if my quilt measures 62" then I subtract 4" that = 58". Do I need to cut 2" off to make the length 60"? then I subtract 4" to = 56" which divides by 8") It's just a "cheater quilt" front and back are both 1 panel so it will not be a big deal to cut but I want to be sure before I do anything

Also, she drew a line from the corners to line up her scallops. On her quilt it happened to be from the quilt corner to the boarder corner. Since my quilt doesn't have a boarder... I can't relate. Is that a 45 degree line that she drew to match up the scallop template to?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 AM

Wish I had the answer for you but, I don't. Sorry. But, my advice would be to wait until you get your template. It comes with a booklet full of instructions. It has a chart that you can see how big your quilt is, then after you subtract the 4" how big to make your scallops. I'm sure it will answer most of your questions. Don't panic yet. The booklet will help you alot. I've had my template for a while but, haven't used it yet. But, I'm going to SOON. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 AM

I don't want another ruler. I just use the freezer paper route. Cut it as long as is needed then keep folding it in pieces til you like the size. Trace a scallop with a dish or something round and cut. You can iron it on and then mark it before cutting if you want.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

If you look at the video again and down at the audio bar you can back up or move forward repeatedly. Or go to the website and maybe there's a printed version.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
I don't want another ruler. I just use the freezer paper route. Cut it as long as is needed then keep folding it in pieces til you like the size. Trace a scallop with a dish or something round and cut. You can iron it on and then mark it before cutting if you want.
I saw this method on Fons & Porter the weekend before last. I had never heard of this method but if you have to make a custom scallop, this is the method to use. I got EB ruler and I am still trying to figure it out. One day, when I have NOTHING to do on my To Do List, I will sit down and conquer the instructions. Good Luck !!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 AM

You should watch Eleanor Burns video on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm3-Vazxj_w this shows how to add vines to your border and also how to do scallop edges.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 AM

I borrowed a scalloped template from a friend and found it very complicated to use. I finally gave up and measured the quilt to see how tall and wide I wanted my scallops. Then I went to EQ, drew up a block that measured the width and height I wanted my scallops to be. Then I drew a bezier curve, adjusted it to have the curve I was looking for, printed it out, taped it together, and voilą. A scalloped template. Took me all of about 5 minutes.

If you have EQ and want to try it, pm me and I'll walk you through it.

Last edited by Peckish; 11-11-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM

Alikat: thank you for the tip! I wouldn't have thought of that. So if my template isn't sized right I can check out this technique.

I will watch the other you tube video too -thanks

I don't have EQ... maybe Santa can get me that

How about the marking line from the corner - is that a 45 degree angle?