Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scalloped borders measuring ? >

Scalloped borders measuring ?

Scalloped borders measuring ?

Old 01-11-2015, 04:27 AM

Default Scalloped borders measuring ?

How do you figure out measurements for scalloped borders ? I watched an eleanor burns video where she started on a corner marking it but didnt show how it was measured. How do you figure out how many scallops will fit to the next corner? Is there a formula ? Trick ?
Old 01-11-2015, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

The easiest way I have found is to cut a piece of freezer paper the length and width of the border, fold it accordion style ( real long borders I may fold to the size of 2-3 scallops) draw your scallops onto the top edge, unfold the paper, press it onto the border and mark the scallops. There are many tutorials for doing this, some here on the board. Go to the * tutorial* category and advance search scalloped borders to find them.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:49 AM

I bought her scallops ruler. There are instructions in the pkg. If you don't have the ruler just measure the length of your quilt & divide that number ie: 60" long, 60 divided by 6 will give you 10 scallops that are 6" apart, 60 divided by 7.5 will give you 8 scallops that will be 7.5" apart, do the same with the width.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

If your quilt is done with square blocks, you can place one scallop per block. I usually work it out with paper and a kitchen plate for marking the curves.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

my first thought was... what about the corners? i'm thinking that the measure and divide will work, but you have to shift it over 1/2 scallop so that the end halves make a good curve at the corner. does this sound right?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:12 AM

Actually there is another video that Eleanor has where she teaches you the whole process. Just check out the media theater on her website it's when she first started using pre-cut fabrics. Geez, I have watched it so many times can't think of the actual one, but Jenny Doan does a tutorial on the scalloped ruler as well.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:12 AM

When you say "draw your scallops onto the top edge" do you mean we should then cut the scallops thru the folded paper so that when you unfold The whole "border" is scalloped to trace?

Good idea!

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
The easiest way I have found is to cut a piece of freezer paper the length and width of the border, fold it accordion style ( real long borders I may fold to the size of 2-3 scallops) draw your scallops onto the top edge, unfold the paper, press it onto the border and mark the scallops. There are many tutorials for doing this, some here on the board. Go to the * tutorial* category and advance search scalloped borders to find them.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

It is the same principle as fitting a stencil onto your border. Mark the corners then measure the remaining length and divided by the width of the scallop. Then you may have to tweak the width of the scallop in order for it to fit. Have a calculator close by.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Using the Scallop ruler will save you time and frustration. It's worth it.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:51 AM

actually found a really great video by missouri quilt co. It explains how to use the scallop ruler, makes it look easy. I think the ruler would really help. Have been avoiding buying anything though, was trying to get around that