Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scant 1/4 inch seam >

scant 1/4 inch seam

scant 1/4 inch seam

Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM

My machine bed does have those lines, but the 1/4" line is in the middle of the fabric feeder and is covered up by the presser foot. It's easier to just move the needle. Tho that gives me the 1/4" seam, not the scant 1/4" seam.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by jojo47
That's how I do mine, as well, Klue. There is a 1/4 in mark on my open-toe foot and if I sew just slightly to the side of the mark, I have my scant 1/4 in seam.
Ok Ladies I am learning from all of you as I am determined to learn this "scant 1/4" stuff...I have a brother SQ9000 {i think} it has the 1/4 mark on the plate, I can move my needle left or right...soooo I am thinking I am good to go...right? My question is how do you know that you have sewn a true scant 1/4? {after running a test run-she says} I sure hope this question makes sense to someone.
A huge added thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by JudeWill
My machine bed does have those lines, but the 1/4" line is in the middle of the fabric feeder and is covered up by the presser foot. It's easier to just move the needle. Tho that gives me the 1/4" seam, not the scant 1/4" seam.
That is the same as my machine.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Barb M
At the risk of sounding very silly lol, i finally decided to ask this. I see this topic so many times, and i wonder, doesnt everyone have lines on their sewing machine to follow like i do? That's all i ever use, the lines that came with the machine, and the 1/4" line works perfect for me. And if i'm feeling tired and dont feel like having to keep watching to make sure the fabric stays on the edge of the line, then i attach my metal plate with the raised edge. My machine is 40 years old, and has this attachement, and has lines on the machine to follow. Do newer machines not have lines on them?
Thats my thinking too.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 AM

I am fairly new to quilting, and I just managed to get pretty good with 1/4 in. I am not going to worry about scant.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 AM

I am a firm believer in a scant 1/4" s.a. for accuracy in the size of finished blocks. However, this brings up another delima. I have Harriet Hargrave's first "Quilter's Academy" where she advises to avoid moving the needle position. I have also heard this from a teacher on You Tube.

Whether moving the needle position or not, how do I heed the advise on one of these posts that we should not watch the needle or the pressure foot when sewing a straight seam. This seems to require a quide of some kind to follow. I do use an adhesive quide, but it needs to be moved for diagonal seams or where you might have to use pins. Hope I am making myself clear. I am sure someone here has some thoughts on this.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I am a firm believer in a scant 1/4" s.a. for accuracy in the size of finished blocks. However, this brings up another delima. I have Harriet Hargrave's first "Quilter's Academy" where she advises to avoid moving the needle position. I have also heard this from a teacher on You Tube.

Whether moving the needle position or not, how do I heed the advise on one of these posts that we should not watch the needle or the pressure foot when sewing a straight seam. This seems to require a quide of some kind to follow. I do use an adhesive quide, but it needs to be moved for diagonal seams or where you might have to use pins. Hope I am making myself clear. I am sure someone here has some thoughts on this.
I also move the needle to make a "scanter" seam when sewing diagonal seams to end up with what I'm hoping for. I have not figured out "why" I seem to need to do this.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Marcy J.

I also move the needle to make a "scanter" seam when sewing diagonal seams to end up with what I'm hoping for. I have not figured out "why" I seem to need to do this.
Once I learned about using a 50/3 thread, a thinner, yet strong thread like Aurifil for example, that virtually eliminated my need for using a scant 1/4". This thinner thread takes up less room in the seam, so I'm not needing to move my needle over. This is a real boon for me as some of my older machines do not have any additional or many needle positions to use.

The only time I ever seem to need to use a scant 1/4 anymore is if I'm working with a real thick fabric.

Hope this helps,
Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 PM

I've had the same problem so here's what I do. First I sew my practice block. Then I measure the seam line from the stitch line. If it is exactly on the mark, I do another practice seam moving my needle one step to the right, sew and measure again.

I know we have many thoughts and ideas about do we or don't we, but I still think the best way is what works for you. If your block comes out to the right size, then we don't need that galloping horse. How do I know this? Trial and error and sewing on so many different machines over the years and using so many different threads.