Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scant 1/4 inch? >

Scant 1/4 inch?

Scant 1/4 inch?

Old 05-16-2015, 07:17 PM

Angry Scant 1/4 inch?

I am frustrated because by "X" squares don't match on my Garden Maze quilt that I am working on. I cut the strips 1 1/4 inch as the instruction stated. When squaring the "X" squares they were about 1/4 inch short....Thew those away and search other Maze pattern and most stated to use a scant 1/4 inch.
Question..How can I know what a scant 1/4 inch is?? I will try and post a pic of my problem.[ATTACH=CONFIG]519854[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_1856.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

For starters, you could do this test - the error may be in one of three places -

The instructions
Your cutting
Your sewing

Cut three strips of fabric that you are using 1-1/2 inches wide by 3 inches long

Sew them together with your 1/4 inch seam

Press

Measure the finished width of the center strip. It should be I inch.

If too arrow - you might be cutting the strips skimpy - you could move your ruler over a couple of threads to cut a slightly wider strip
Or
You might try Using a slightly narrower seam alllwance

If the center strip ends up being wider than one ince -
You might br cutting your strips too wide or your seam alllwance is too narrow

that might help narrow the problem down.

For some - the definition of a scant 1/4 inch is about 15/64 of an inch. or a thread or two less than 1/4 inch.

Sometimes the problem starts with the cutting - not the seam allowance.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:10 AM
Gay

I would try cutting the strips 1-3/8" wide and use the same seam allowance. It's a painful measurement, I know, but your strips finished are not wide enough. A scant 1/4" seam is smaller by 1 or 2 threads.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:58 AM

All the suggestions above as well as starching starching and starching more starching. I find that my accuracy improves when I slow down my sewing, starch starch starch, and take my time cutting and take the time to enjoy the process rather than rush for a finished product. Do you have all the blocks cut? If not perhaps you can start over, others will come along with far more experience, but I appreciate and understand your frustration, hang in there!
Old 05-17-2015, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

If what you display in your picture is sewn, it appears a scant 1/4" wouldn't help. If this is a magazine issue pattern, have you check with the subscriber for any pattern corrections? Shocking on how many are listed.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

I usually end up with a block very close to the intended size - with no starch/sizing added.

However, I do soak and wash my fabrics before cutting them - so that most of the shrinkage (if any) has been removed. I bought some 2-1/2 inch cut strips - washed them - they are now 2-3/8 inches wide. It is a Kaufman or Hoffman fabric.

Pressing with steam can - I think - also shrink fabric.

As far as I know, starching/sizing can shrink fabric - if it is going to shrink. Might be a reason to apply it evenly to the fabric and let it saturate the fabric. I am not an expert on starch/sizing, so -

I do consider myself knowledgeable about shrinkage - because I measured hundreds of cotton woven fabrics before and after washing them.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:29 AM

If I need a scant 1/4 inch I just use my 1/4 inch foot but move the needle to the right. I find it is more consistent when I do it that way. You just have to remember to move the needle every time you turn the machine back on!
Old 05-17-2015, 04:32 AM

I agree with maniac. This issue isn't the seam, it is the cutting or pattern because those are at least a full seam allowance off, not just a fraction of one.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Here's the way to check for that 1/4" seam:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
Having said that, if the diagonal green and blue strips are supposed to meet the edges of the borders around the blocks the strips cannot all be cut the same width. It's mathematically impossible for them to meet perfectly in the corners. Double check the pattern and see if the diagonals are supposed to be cut wider or the borders narrower, the strips should be different widths.
In the quilter's cache version, they cut the strips 1.5" for the sashings and 2" for the diagonals:
http://www.quilterscache.com/G/GardenMazeBlock.html
Old 05-17-2015, 05:02 AM

So sorry, feel your pain and frustration!! -- and things don't match up perfectly despite all your being careful -- it's probably not you but ....