Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scant 1/4" seam allowance >

Scant 1/4" seam allowance

Scant 1/4" seam allowance

Old 03-22-2022, 02:59 AM

I gave up on the "scant 1/4" years ago, just figured the hassle wasn't worth it, and my quilts come out just fine.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:03 AM
Banned

I don't think the 1/8" is going to work, but, as long as you press your seams to the side, you don't need to rip out the seams. Just resew them to the 1/4". I don't pay attention to the "scant 1/4" thing, as others have said. I like Meadow Mist's comment: If they want us to use a scant 1/4" make a scant 1/4" foot! There is always going to be enough give in fabric to make up for the one or two thread width difference when nesting seams to piece.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:41 AM

JanieW, Thanks for the link. This article gives a lot of information and suggestions for using different presser feet.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:47 AM

Here is another website that might be helpful. Go to quiltville.com then click on the topic "Tips & Techniques". Next, scroll down the list to "Basic Rotary Cutting", after you read that look for "That Quarter Inch!" Both of them have helped me with my seams and also impressed me with the importance of testing that my size at the end of the block is the size I want.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:52 AM

I don't like the "scant" 1/4 inch either. Don't know why patterns use this, just stick with 1/4" as long as it is consistent throughout.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:58 AM

I redid all of my seams this morning. I also had a few that I already cut and I decided that I'm going to redo those pieces since I have fabric enough to do them, so everything will be the same. -- I did all of my new cuttings and so far everything fits together like it should just using the solid 1/4" seam.

In reading all the sites and blogs about the scant 1/4", and reading the postings here, I decided that I'm just going to stick with the solid 1/4" seam. I think the scant 1/4" is a little too wonky for me to fiddle with, like a thread or two is really going to make a difference, when it isn't going to be a consistent measurement, at least for my sewing. Trying to get the scant 1/4" seam just ended up giving me eyestrain and a headache, not to mention hunched over shoulders and back while trying to do it right to one or two threads (which I really didn't get it right anyways)

I'm right on with the dot (so to speak) with the 1/4" seam and I think it is better for my seams to be the same throughout the quilt.

I'm the same way with the complicated math measurements of cutting HST with a 7/8" measurement and etc. -- I just cut it to the next inch and then trim to square it up.

Thanks for the acknowledging words of others who don't do the scant 1/4" -- you make me feel that it is okay and that I'm not doing something wrong with my quilts.

Last edited by berrynice; 03-22-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:40 PM

I use the scant 1/4" because I find it helps with my accuracy. For instance, I'm currently working on pattern-testing and making a shop sample. The quilt has flying geese and the instructions are the old sew-a-square, flip, trim, sew-another-square, flip, trim for the flying geese. If I sew a true 1/4", the corners are short. But if I sew a scant 1/4", the corners turn out perfect.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:29 AM

I have a 1/4" foot for my machine and, when I used it, I noticed that my blocks turned out slightly smaller than they should. Then I read something by Bonnie Hunter that said you should line up your fabric so that it is a hair over the line before cutting it (if you're right handed like me, it should stick out just slightly to the left of the line). Ever since I started doing that, my blocks end up (mostly) the right size. I also have been making things like half-square triangles a little bigger and then cutting them down to size (still watching that line on the left). That's worked for me. So for me, it's not my seam allowance that's the problem, but rather my cutting.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I also wish they made a scant quarter inch foot. It's so frustrating when I see the pattern call for one. My understanding of scant is one or two threads narrower. If the pattern calls for it I'm afraid it won't turn out correctly if I don't use one. So I try to avoid those patterns!
Old 03-23-2022, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I also wish they made a scant quarter inch foot. It's so frustrating when I see the pattern call for one. My understanding of scant is one or two threads narrower. If the pattern calls for it I'm afraid it won't turn out correctly if I don't use one. So I try to avoid those patterns!
I have a Pfaff sewing machine. I bought a foot that is called "The Perfect 1/4" foot" only to find that with the needle in the center position, it is NOT a perfect 1/4". I looked at the illustration provided with the foot and it says from the flange to the needle is <1/4". I did some test stitching and found the perfect setting, about two ticks to the left, for the 1/4".

Anyhow, I was frustrated that my foot named "Perfect 1/4" foot" was not a 1/4". I chalked it up to the difference between metric and English. Moral of the story, always measure! quarterinchfoot.jpg