Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scant quarter inch >

Scant quarter inch

Scant quarter inch

Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 AM

This dialogue is so important. Quilting is supposed to be fun and we all need to figure out how to have the most enjoyment out of it.

I stink at just getting a even 1/4", probably because of my inexperience and a new machine that is not the best on the market. Anywho, I do what works best for me until I get better.

I do funky things that would make a seasoned quilter cringe! Don't think I want to share what I do!

I've had the scant quarter inch explained to me from wonderful people on the board and I think until I really get a handle on it, I need make due with a few techniques that take longer to do so that my quilt looks somewhat squared up. It relieves some of the stress of being perfect with my seams and the result is enjoyment rather than frustration.

So far so good, but in the meantime, I keep practicing!

I hope this thread encourages those who are having difficulty with the perfect scant 1/4" seam to keep going and do your best. We're told that eventually, we can master that seam!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 PM

wITH A PATTERN LIKE GRANDMA'S FAN OR DRESDEN PLATE, IT IS REALLY NECESSARY TO GET THE SEAM ALLOWANCE RIGHT OR IT WON'T BE RIGHT.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM

The first quilt I made was a log cabin and I used my 1/4 inch foot and got a consistent result in that it all worked out. After buying a "better" quarter inch foot that someone recommended I made the quilt again and it was definitely smaller! I have yet to sew something where the size made a difference but wonder why whoever makes the patterns doesn't take a "real" 1/4 inch into account when they do the pattern.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM

I TOTALLY agree, if there's not a 'scant 1/4" foot' then why write patterns using that measurement? I never worry about it, and I do fairly well with my matching.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM

I have a 1/4 in foot on my machine and I just put a small piece of masking tape on the inside of the 1/4 and it really does make it a 'scant' 1/4 inch.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:56 PM

Great idea! Thanks.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Trusting you quarter inch foot can sometimes result in problems putting your blocks together. I am currently making a Double Wedding Ring (John Flynn's version) using his templates to do 18" blocks. I had my 1/4" foot and even nudged my needle to the right. Pieced my first 6 strips and when I cut them into pieces to do the arcs I came up just a smidge shy of what I should have had. Of my melon was already cut by the template..there is no changing that size. So I called the company and they sent me John Flynn's business card which has "his" 1//4" seam. End of problem. I ended up nudging over my needle 2 more times to the right to match up to his card example..so it does matter a great deal depending on what you are sewing.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 PM

I've never used a scant quarter inch seam in my life and have never had any problem at all with things lining up or matching or being out of square. If the seams are all the same, you'll be fine and the only difference might be a slightly smaller quilt than the pattern says. Why make it harder than it is?[/quote]

I have had the same thought, 1/4" seams have been around forever, so why in recent quilting history do we need to do scant? What has changed? I loose some of my accuracy trying to do scant 1/4's. Find no way to keep them consistent.
Robin in TX
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

On some older handpieced blocks, I've seen seams as narrow as less than 1/8 inch!

I've found this test to be very helpful and takes only a few moments:

Cut three strips of fabric five inches long x 2 inches wide.

Sew them together with your 1/4 inch seam.

Press.

Measure the unit you assembled.

It "should" measure 5 x 5 inches.

If it measures more - either take slightly deeper/wider seams OR cut slightly narrower strips

If it measures less than five inches - either take slightly narrower seams OR cut slightly wider strips.

(Although when I think of "seam width" - I usually think of the row of stitching which - on a straight stitch - is the width of the thread)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 PM

The quilts I make are heavily used and washed often. I have wondered if the "scant" seam would hold together as well as a full 1/4 seam? I haven't used a pattern that has called for the scant seam. I have had to repair some quilt tops that were more like 1/8" seams. Some of the older tops I've repaired have had 1/2" seams. I figure I'll just use the 1/4" as it works well for me.....so far.