Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Scant Quarter" >

"Scant Quarter"

"Scant Quarter"

Old 02-23-2020, 07:55 AM

Default "Scant Quarter"

This is probably a really dumb question but...I began quilting about 9 months ago. During the class I learned to cut fabric "scant quarters". My foot is a quarter but I put several layers of tape as a guide and have continued. Yesterday I took my granddaughter to a 4-H Quilting Day. The kids made 4 different blocks into a very cute pillow. She was thrilled! But, she learned about cutting scant quarters. I really do not understand the concept. If I cut all cuts a scant quarter shouldn't they all match up? If I cut all cuts a full quarter shouldn't they also match? I hope someone can help me. Math has never been my strength but I don't get it.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:01 AM

I'm self taught and so have missed a lot of things. I'm most familiar with "scant" as being the seam allowance. That is, you cut exactly but sew just under the 1/4" to make up for the fold/depth of the fabric.

Now, different rulers actually have different rules! Some the line is where you are supposed to cut and others the line is next to where you are supposed to cut. For most of us it simply doesn't matter because consistency is more important than microns.

But consistency is key, just a thread off in a small piece is actually 2 threads off because it is two pieces of fabric, so multiply that a 100 times across the surface of a quilt and it can make a lot of differences.

When I first started quilting I was all about precision but I have switched to the "cut large and trim down" school whenever possible. I find I am ultimately more precise and faster -- which translates to being more fun for me even though I have the trimming step I'm still faster than my friends.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:15 AM

I agree with Iceblossom. The scant is in the seam. One way to see how it works is to sew a short seam. Iron it to one side. Then pick out the seam. You will see where you stitched and where the fold from pressing is. They will not be in the same spot. As Iceblossom said, you will lose a couple of threads.

if you are stitching a pieced block to a whole piece of cut fabric the scant is important so that they match up. If you’re simply sewing cut blocks together, it’s not so important but you will still lose the measurement across the quilt as Iceblossom explained.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

My aim is to get a finished unit/ block/ item to be the size I intended it to be.

Some of the places one can get "off" are:

The size of the cut pieces
The width of the seam allowance
The thickness of the thread used
how the seams are pressed

It is worth the effort to do a test sample using the fabrics, threads, and rulers one plans to use for the project.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Do a test block to check you get an accurate finished unit and go from there.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by cutting scant quarters. Never heard of it. The only scant I know about in quilting is sewing scant 1/4" seams.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:00 AM

Like the other comments the only 'scant' I am aware of is a scant 1/4" seam allowance. I too am self taught and it took me a bit of time to learn that on the width of 2 thread would make such a big difference in the outcome of a quilt top. I too am of the school cut large and trim down. Measuring, squaring up. and pressing the two most important parts of making a quilt.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:44 AM

If you "cut" a scant quarter and then "sew" a scant quarter, you are going to be off with the end results.

When cutting with a ruler, you want to get the line on the fabric to get the full cut size. If the ruler line is only up to the fabric, the cut is going to be short a thread or two. There are many other factors that can lead to being off with a block.

I like to starch and press before cutting the fabric. Sometimes, I over size the units and trim to correct size. It may only be a thread or two. Then assemble the block.

Try different techniques and find a method that gives you consistent results. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2020, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

I may sew a scant quarter inch seam but never have i seen a pattern that requires a scant quarter inch cut on pieces. Interesting.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:41 PM

I agree with everyone. The only "scant" I have gone by is a "scant" 1/4 inch when sewing two pieces together. I also am self taught and am always willing to learn. I would be afraid if I cut a "scant" piece of fabric it would be too small or short to get your finished size of block.