Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scared to wash >

scared to wash

scared to wash

Old 07-05-2015, 05:39 AM

I would wash it and throw in 4-5 color catcher sheets. It always works for me.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:17 AM

I still like the recipe I found here on the board a while ago (Recipe to Keep Colors from Running). I have a top loader and this works quite well. I let the washer run for a minute or 2, then pause it, add the recipe and color catcher and it works pretty well on all my quilts. I use mainly batiks and if I have dark colors, I use several color catchers. I have not had any color bleeds into lighter fabrics.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:37 AM

Thank you all so much for the tips on Retayne and Synthrapol.
I washed a deep green batik and thought that I would be ok. Then remembered my color catchers. Threw 2 color catchers in and rewashed....They turned a deep green. Added another 3 color catchers and washed again. They also turned a medium shade of green. Tried to remember all of the discussions on this board about Retayne...(never really paid attention because I never really needed to worry about a dark color.) Called my DSIL and she advised me about the Retayne and Synthrapol.
The Retayne set the color and on my 6th washing with a color catcher after the Retayne wash---the color catcher remained white. This fabric is going to be worn out by washing NOT wear!
From now on any deep color or RED will automatically get washed with Retayne BEFORE I do anything else!! LEARNED MY LESSON!
You might want to try Synthrapol now...
Old 07-05-2015, 08:44 AM

I have always added vinegar to the soak and drain cycle in my wash machine then did a couple of rinse cycles without agitation, then drain and use a gentle spin cycle, then hang or dry flat. From the second rinse cycle I can tell if there is any color left in the water. Most always works with blacks, reds, and dark blues.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 AM

I am of two minds. Do not wash it, use as is. OR wash it in the washing machine, on the gentlest cycle you have available WITH the Color Catchers. I have a front load that has a hand wash feature I use with my old quilts. BUT I wash them all, I know what I have will be used. I cannot worry about each piece. If it survives the washer, it's a keeper. If it doesn't, it was not meant to be. Life is too short to worry.

I also, throw in the dryer, after it stops, I hang from the balcony for 24hrs to ensure dryness!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:22 AM

Ditto on the Color Catchers. They worked great on all the quilts I have washed. I use a lot of precut fabrics, so I can't wash them before making the quilt. Mine have always done well with the Color Catchers.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:31 AM

You've gotten lots of great advice- I hope that your quilt comes out perfect. One thing I have found is sometimes hanging damp quilts over backs of chairs can leave humps in the quilt where it has stretched. I have had this happen. It may depend on how heavily quilted it is too. Just a thought to keep in mind.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:57 AM

Since you think there is a possibility that the fabric is not cotton, have someone familiar with older fabrics check it out. You do not necessarily need to do the burn test to determine fabric content. The feel of the fabric and size of the threads used in the weaving are also clues. You may be concerned over nothing. My mom made me a quilt from fabric that is cotton, poly cotton, and poly. It is beautiful, but the quilt police probably wouldn't think so.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 AM

Take a white wash cloth (even just white cotton fabric), wet with warm water, wring it out...and use it to rub over the black & other colors...if color comes off onto the white cloth...it may run...well, in my tests...it WILL run...if no color comes off...you are safe to wash. Toss in a color catcher just to be sure.
Marge

Originally Posted by briskgo View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524273[/ATTACH]These beautiful bow ties were part of an estate sale, they are hand stitched and just such a pleasure to work with. The fabric looks to be from the 70's. I would have had to sacrifice one of them for a burn test and haven't the heart to do so as I'd like to use the remaining two for pillow shams.

So my question just have it dry cleaned? Would that "set" the colors.

This is intended for my older sister that I dearly love, it is for her guest room which doesn't see many visitors so she would only have to have it dry cleaned very occasionally.

Your help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-09-2015, 05:46 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524665[/ATTACH]well after all the anxiety added two sheets of carbona color grabber, 2 teaspoons of synthrapol and 2 oz. quilts treasure wash to the top loader set it on delicate. Treated the inevitable smudges with oxi clean. The hand pieced bow ties held up just fine, I did stitch in the ditch why wouldn't they? Took it out the color grabbers were bright blue and the chalk marking lines were still there. Repeated the whole process except the oxi clean and set the washer for light, took it out still had chalk and other makers. Well enough already set it for regular two color grabbers and tide, voile looks great, so great I put it in the dryer on delicate took it out a little damp and dried flat. I love this quilt, really my best effort thus far.
Attached Thumbnails 20150709_062743_resized.jpg