Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Schmetts needles and fusible batting >

Schmetts needles and fusible batting

Schmetts needles and fusible batting

Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Default Schmetts needles and fusible batting

1. I have been using Schmetts 11/70 quilting needles and am on third one, only quilted about 10 hours and get bad skipping problems. Any thoughts? This is the only brand available to me locally.

2. If fusible batting an effective idea for smaller crib quilts? Spray adhesive sometime gunky and I have not patience anymore for pinning/basting.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49 PM

What thread are you using? Skipping can often occur if your thread is too thick for your needle, and a 70 is small for a lot of common threads.

Fusible batting can work for small quilts just fine. I've found it to kind of be a pain though because it is hard to get both sides of the backing/top to cooperate. It has never been gunky for me though.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by tanya174 View Post
1. I have been using Schmetts 11/70 quilting needles and am on third one, only quilted about 10 hours and get bad skipping problems. Any thoughts? This is the only brand available to me locally.

2. If fusible batting an effective idea for smaller crib quilts? Spray adhesive sometime gunky and I have not patience anymore for pinning/basting.
You can't buy any cheaper needles anywhere near? Might be time to order on line.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Schmetz needles are fine. You're using a very small needle. I usually use a 14 (90/14?), and have been known to use a 16 size needle. One needle should last for the whole quilt. I've also gone through times where the needle kept breaking.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Schmetz makes a "quilting" needle that has a different scarf for acomodating the thread when doing FMQ.

There is also a wonderful older spiral-bound book called "Point Well Taken!" by Debbie Garbers that gives advice about needles and which needles/threads to use with which fabrics. After 17 years I still refer to it often.
http://pointwelltakenbook.com/

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails pwt-cover.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 09-17-2013 at 07:59 AM.