Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scissors or rotary cutter?

Rotary cutter. A few weeks ago, I asked my husband if he knew how to sharpen "something like a pizza cutter" on a regular knife sharpener. He said he would try. When he gave it back to me, it didn't cut badly - it didn't cut at all any more. So for a long weekend, I had to cut with only scissors. As it turns out, I'm not very good at cutting straight lines with scissors. Fortunately, I now have a new rotary blade.

I think that I've tried every rotary cutter made. I love to cut and I'm always the cutter when we work in groups. I'd recommend the Olfa 45mm cutter to start, the one with the slightly curved handle. It fits in your hand well and can be used for right or left handers. Get someone who is good at cutting to demonstrate proper technique because it does make a difference on how you hold it (accuracy and ease of cutting). Buy extra blades as a dull blade can cut you and will not cut your fabric cleanly or accurately. I'm really good with scissors but I'm even better and much faster with a rotary cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Flour Sack Mama
    I still have scissors. If I decide to invest in a rotary cutter, do I need to be concerned about the brand to get a certain quality?
    My favorite is the Martelli Cutter. they are ergonomic and the blades stay sharper longer. I have tried several kinds but this is the one I use 99% of the time.

Since we're on this topic, do you have to buy blades that are the same brand as your handle? Or can you mix & match?

Rotary

Quote Originally Posted by hannajo
    Since we're on this topic, do you have to buy blades that are the same brand as your handle? Or can you mix & match?
    I use Harbor Freight or Olfa blades in all my cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    Rotary cutter for most everything...I only use scissors if I have to.
    Ditto this for me!

Blog Entries
    I think the rotary cutter is right up with the discovery of electricity! I have always loved to sew but hated cutting out the patterns. Now I just just my rotary cutter instead of scissors and it goes so much faster! Of course, I still use scissors to cut notches and snipping thread.

Rotary cutter for any/all straight cuts! :-)

My Accu-Quilt Go, rotary cutter and than scissors.

Blog Entries
    Rotary all the way. I do own scissors, but usually can't find them. It's amazing that when my son enters the room, my scissors disappear. Hmmmm.

Thank goodness for the rotary cutter:-) I do use a small pair of scissors for detail work and cutting thread.

Rotary 95% of the time.

I have three sizes of rotary cutters- I even used the small one to cut out pattern pieces for a garment. Speedy!

Definitely use the rotary cutter more - scissors I use only when I have to.

mim
    I looked at Harbor freight and couldn't locate the blades -- how are they listed??

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight

Rotary cutter for me too.

I almost never use scissors except for clipping threads.

Blog Entries
    I wanted to cut some fabric the other day with scissors because I couldn't find a new blade. But I was afraid that the size would be off if I used it with my ruler...I just said skip it until I found the new blades! My kids want to use my cutter..6, 4 & 3??? I don't like them having scissors so I don't think that's gonna happen any time soon.

I use both but for cutting strips, I had better use the rotary cutter. I am still trying to cut an entire length straight and I have been sewing for over 45 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mim
    I looked at Harbor freight and couldn't locate the blades -- how are they listed??

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    When I went to Harbor Freight I found the blades with the carpet cutters. Try looking for carpet cutting replacement blades.

I still have scissors. If I decide to invest in a rotary cutter, do I need to be concerned about the brand to get a certain quality?
    they are all about the same. there is an ergonomic one out that would bear inspection if I were buying a new one. I use the 60mm the most. get one that the blade retracts when you quit cutting !! I think you need both the 45mm & 60mm. don't try the tiny one because you think it easier--it isn't.
    not for cutting pieces, strips, etc. they are such a timesaver & give accurate, smooth cuts. practice on scraps or muslin until you are at ease with it. don't rush your cut.

they are all about the same. there is an ergonomic one out that would bear inspection if I were buying a new one. I use the 60mm the most. get one that the blade retracts when you quit cutting !! I think you need both the 45mm & 60mm. don't try the tiny one because you think it easier--it isn't.
    not for cutting pieces, strips, etc. they are such a timesaver & give accurate, smooth cuts. practice on scraps or muslin until you are at ease with it. don't rush your cut.

Blog Entries
    I just discovered the Pinking blade, love it

Definitely rotary cutter for most projects. They scissors are the trimming tool now. Unless I am away from home with small projects then it is scissors.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast