Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scissors sharpener - are they any good? >

scissors sharpener - are they any good?

scissors sharpener - are they any good?

Old 07-25-2014, 04:46 AM

Default scissors sharpener - are they any good?

I have had a pair of Fiskars spring handle scissors for some time. They have stayed sharp forever... well I must have pushed them over the edge when I was cutting the insulated batting for pot holders.. they are now dull. I did try the aluminum foil, which did seem to help. But they are not sharp enough. I was looking at scissors sharpeners on Amazon and there seems to be as many bad reviews as good reviews. So I don't know if they are going to be worth it. Have any of you guys used scissors sharpeners with good results? If you have what sharpener was it?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:56 AM
dd

I have the same scissors. I have used the fiskars sharpener but it doesn't sharpen all the blade. You can get most of it in there but next to the screw can't get there. Check with your lqs or Joanns. Both our have sharpening days and we have a knife shop that will sharpen.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Couple times I've spent money to have blades sharpened only to have to go back 6 months later and pay to have them done again. I'll just replace. I have quite a few pair of shears. Have had to replace 2 pair. I thank the person who came up with the rotary cutter.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 AM

Thanks for reminding all of us not to use our good scissors on the insulated batting. I'll use a different pair.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:36 AM

Just had my scissors sharpened at our quilt show. Don't know how the "home" sharpeners work.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM

We used to use the Fiskars spring handle sicissors when we sold and cut upholstery and drapery fabric. They would last a long time and when they seemed to be dull DH would clean them with WD-40 and tighten the screw ever so slightly. Try it and see if it helps.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:09 PM

If you have a knife sharpener, the steel rod that comes with expensive knives, you can use it on the Fiskars. That's what I use on my Ginghers. It works well, and you can get all the way to the screw.