Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap batting out of control!!

I piece the largest pieces for bats for scrap quilts and always have a bag of smaller pieces big enough for placemats or bags and the smallest ones I stuff in a bag for the Mennonite Relief Centre. They always find something to stuff.

I do like everyone else. I buy the batting bigger than I need so that I have left overs then I use it for smaller quilts. then if needed I piece it together to make a smaller quilt for dolls. If I still have some scraps left I have two pillows in the living room that still have an opening so I can put all the one inch pieces in. I like quilting, because nothing gets wasted. Most of my quilts are made from what ever material happens to be on hand. I don't think I have ever been able to make a quilt by going and purchasing the material all at once.

I do exactly that.It is too expensive to do otherwise.

Blog Entries
    I use Swifter sized pieces on my swifter. You can stretch pieces to fit. Saves money and is green too! I also use flannel sleeves from old shirts on the swifter.

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    I spent 4 hours messing in my sewing room today! I had 2 full totes of scrap batting that was getting out of control! I tamed one tote. Pieced my scrap batting together and got enough batting for 8 charity baby quilts.

So how many tame their batting scraps or what do you do with them?

Blog Entries
    I piece as much as I can, use that as far as it will go, then toss what ever is left in a small trash can to be used as stuffing for the pillows that go to the animal shelter. Nothing is wasted.

I put them in a tote or two with the intention of taming them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I stack mine in a corner and glare at it every once in a while.
    Same here and my pile is stacked to the ceiling!

I sew the larger pieces together for small quilts. The small pieces I use in hot pads, carriers and table runners,

Blog Entries
    I butt the two pieces of batting together and use my large zig zag stitch, it is the stitch the makes 3or 4 stiches each way, does that make sense... I see on some web sites now where there is a heat tape that you can use to bond them together not sure how good that works but am thinking about giving it a try , I too have tons of batting scraps.

Blog Entries
    Yep I put together for quilts potholders wallets pincushions padded handers pillows kids toys etc.

Yup I sew it together to make "new" batting. Some of the smaller pieces i use for making bags or other small projects. If it is very small it gets put into a bag to be use with fabric scraps as stuffing for a floor pillow.

I was at the Lowell Quilt Festival a few weeks ago and saw a demo on using scrap batting.
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'll do my best to describe!
    They had 'Batting Seam Tape' a fusible seam tape that is 1.5 in wide in 10 yd rolls.
    then they cut the batting into 2.5 in strips, and cut scrap fabric into 2.5in strips, wr side to batting, fold like double fold bias tape, and sew (str stitch) down the middle.
    Then cut to a desired length, and zigzag the sewn strips tog. The samples they had were made up into mug rugs, a lot of 'mug rugs' sewn tog to make a bathroom rug (alternating direction of strips), placemats and many other items.
    Hope this gives you ideas!!
    Carolyn

I do the same thing I sew them together smaller peices I use to insulate my air conditions and windows durning the winter time works pretty good!

Blog Entries
    Well, I just went to the waste basket to haul out my tiny pieces. I always sew the left-over pieces together, but have been trashing the really tiny ones. Thanks for the pillow suggestions. New stuffing now being collected, thanks to you smart, economically savvy folks.

Most of my ideas are already posted here, but I'll just add my 2 cents worth - I sew them together, use them for smaller projects, stuff them into cat toys, donate tiny snippets for animal beds.

I don't think a single piece of batting or fabric sees the trash can at my house. I can't afford to do that. Even if I had the money to burn, my conscience would be burning if I threw scraps away. Too many people/charities could use what I no longer find useful. It may take a bit of time and organization, but I believe every effort on every person's part to prevent landfill use matters.

when I started saving tiny snippets of fabric and batting to donate to a pet bed making charity, I was blown away by how quickly I filled up a container. (I'm talking SMALL pieces - less than 2 1/2 inches square.) My favorite QS takes them and passes them on. It is very easy to take a bag of scraps and set them in their back room when I shop. I feel like I am contributing something useful. As they say, "One person's trash is another person's treasure!"

you pay good money for Batting as well as fabric, why not use it all?

I piece mine together with a press on tape designed for that. It works so well my mom can hand quilt and not even know I have pieced the batting. Works great.

I used it for swimming pool filters too.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    I use it for baby quilt as well, but I also make placemate with the samll pieces. also good fillters for the fish tank to.

Blog Entries
    You either hand baste edges together (big stitches) or machine zig-zag together.
    Quote Originally Posted by slstitcher
    How do you piece the batting?

I use mine in the sewing caddies I make and sell

Mine is out of control!

I too piece together for lap robes and I make a lot of pot holders using the scrap batting.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyCarolyn
    I was at the Lowell Quilt Festival a few weeks ago and saw a demo on using scrap batting.
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'll do my best to describe!
    They had 'Batting Seam Tape' a fusible seam tape that is 1.5 in wide in 10 yd rolls.
    then they cut the batting into 2.5 in strips, and cut scrap fabric into 2.5in strips, wr side to batting, fold like double fold bias tape, and sew (str stitch) down the middle.
    Then cut to a desired length, and zigzag the sewn strips tog. The samples they had were made up into mug rugs, a lot of 'mug rugs' sewn tog to make a bathroom rug (alternating direction of strips), placemats and many other items.
    Hope this gives you ideas!!
    Carolyn
    Carolyn, I'm not sure what you do with the fusible tape.

We're in the process of moving. I used my HUGE stash of batting to pack breakables. I'll figure out what to do with it when we get to destination and unpack!! For now it's nice to not have to look at it. Lots of good ideas here! Thanks!

I also use small rectangles of batting on my Swiffter floor duster. Put it on duster just like paper ones you buy, then when dirty, take it off and throw in washer. Ready for use the next time. Works great and saves money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast