Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Happy quilt pattern ??? >

Scrap Happy quilt pattern ???

Scrap Happy quilt pattern ???

Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Default Scrap Happy quilt pattern ???

Just made 42 of these blocks. I had an orange print fabric, so I used one piece of it in each block. Well I have to say this is most likely the most ugly quilt I have ever made. My first though is to throw them into the UFO pile at my quilting group. My other thought, while the pattern does not call for sashing I'm thinking of using sashing between the blocks. If I do this is there a recommended width for the sashing.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Is this the one from Craftsy, where each block is a different pattern? I think black sashing can help a lot to bring a quilt like this together. The width of the sashing depends somewhat on the size of the blocks and the finished size you want for the quilt. I like a relatively thin sashing in black; it is enough to set off the colors but does not overtake the blocks. If the finished blocks are 12", I would probably use a 2" wide finished sashing throughout and add a wider border in black.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 AM

I agree with Prism99. It will make the quilt a lot prettier for sure and I think you will like it.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:02 AM

Is there supposed to be a picture with this message? If so, I didn't find any picture at all and find this to happen on a number of occasions. People will speak of a picture and I never see the picture. Can anyone tell me why? Other pictures show up just fine, it is only on occasion this happens. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:14 AM

true4uca, What is ugly to you may be just right for someone else. I love busy, crazy, quilts. If I have a solid strip in my scrappy quilts, I just have to sew a line of decorative stitch down the middle. Very few women would like my quilts, but the more the merrier for me!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Prism99, Thank you. My blocks are 9.5 inches. Was at my sewing group last night and another quilter was pinning this same top. She had used 2.5 inch sashing, with tiny flowers. I think I would prefer a narrow black solid.

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Is this the one from Craftsy, where each block is a different pattern? I think black sashing can help a lot to bring a quilt like this together. The width of the sashing depends somewhat on the size of the blocks and the finished size you want for the quilt. I like a relatively thin sashing in black; it is enough to set off the colors but does not overtake the blocks. If the finished blocks are 12", I would probably use a 2" wide finished sashing throughout and add a wider border in black.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:23 AM

Sorry, no picture, posting a picture is way beyond my computer skills. I'm really intending to learn but never have since that big change over. I'm one of the ones lost in the dust. LOL.
Originally Posted by themachinelady View Post
Is there supposed to be a picture with this message? If so, I didn't find any picture at all and find this to happen on a number of occasions. People will speak of a picture and I never see the picture. Can anyone tell me why? Other pictures show up just fine, it is only on occasion this happens. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.