Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics >

Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics

Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics

Old 12-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics

I should just make a signature that says, "I am a newb, please help!" Lol

I was gifted a bunch of fabric, with quite varied prints, and have decided on making a scrap quilt like this one: http://www.52quilts.com/2012/08/sund...rap-vomit.html

The fabric all seems to be discount store quality (which is fine... gift horse you know) printed cottons, some of which appear to be pre-washed. I already have some scrap 2.5" squares of quilt shop quality unwashed fabrics, including some batiks.

Do you think it would be okay to mix those in? I wonder if the batiks would stick out like a sore thumb, if the different quality fabrics would be an issue, and how much of a problem mixing washed/unwashed stuff would be..

Last edited by romille; 12-02-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 PM

I wouldnt go with this method. There are better easier ways to get the same result using strips instead of a zillion little squares
Old 12-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Yikes! Please say you're going to call it something other then "Scrap Vomit"!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Please go to www.Quiltville.com and read about Bonnie Hunter' s scrap user system and look at her quilts. She also has MANY free patterns and a blog which is lots of fun. She uses lots of scraps, including squares. Also, if you like the colors, use the batiks - the more variety, the better the scrappy quilt! :-)
Old 12-02-2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Please go to www.Quiltville.com and read about Bonnie Hunter' s scrap user system and look at her quilts. She also has MANY free patterns and a blog which is lots of fun. She uses lots of scraps, including squares. Also, if you like the colors, use the batiks - the more variety, the better the scrappy quilt! :-)
I agree with sewplease.

I see no problem with using individual squares. In fact, I enjoy the process of sewing the squares and rectangles and prefer that method. The "quicky" strip set methods just don't do it for me. I feel like I don't get enough variety in my scrap fabrics. By accident I once made a Burgoyne Surround using individually cut pieces rather than strip sets and found it to be a lot of fun to do the piecing.

IMHO there is no problem in mixing different qualities of fabric. To me, that is what scrappy is all about. If the fabric is very thin or a very loose weave I might consider skipping using it just so that I don't have a worn area after just a few washes. Otherwise, the more fabrics the merrier and the more variety the better.

All that being said, this is YOUR quilt and you get to do what you want. I would go ahead and add in the batiks where their color fits in and I wouldn't worry too much about pre-washed and non-pre-washed fabrics. Personally, I do pre-wash all of my fabrics to ensure I don't have shrinkage issues. But, in this case I wouldn't hesitate to use what you have.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I personally do not like mixing batiks with cottons because the colors are not the same, they do not match. And matching is VERY important if you are neurotic. To each his own. It's not wrong (except in my house).
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM

Personally would not use the batik until I had wAshed and allowed all the dye to drain out. I used a very small piece of a green batik in an applique picture. Washed the quilt before gifting and it ran and spoiled the whole quilt. I did put colour catchers in the wash as well.
Just a word of advise.i am not a scrappy person so no advice there.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 PM

This beholder mixes batiks with anything. I tell my daughter it all matches once it's sewn together. I do have limitations on what colors I will put next to each other, but not fabrics.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 PM

Batiks would work for me but wash first. Have fun
Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 AM

Mix it all up. Have fun with it. Lay out the pieces together. See if you like how it looks together. You would be surprised as to what works together. Scrap quilts are great.