Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scrap quilting question

Scrap quilting question

Iíve been going through my tubs of scraps and finding all sorts of fabric. I realized that although I have made what I thought were scrap quilts- werenít. My question is this: I have a great deal of very pretty calicos. How do they look mixed up with other fabrics? Will they look outdated and old? Another question is do I mix my 100% cotton fabrics with some that Iím sure are polyester? I threw in the dog bed bin many very thin fabrics, but some of the poly arenít too thin. Iím sorting everything according to color and that has really helped. Iím giving away the baby and Christmas scraps to a nice thrift store near me. I donít want to make quilts that arenít pretty, itís too much time wasted and I have beautiful new fabric I can use instead. Suggestions welcome.

I think you can mix calicos with other fabrics just fine. However, I don't like mixing polyester with cotton. Maybe I'm the lone ranger on this though.

I would stick with fabrics of the same material. I've also found that a common neutral fabric in the "background" spaces of the design allows for just about any scraps you want.

I'm on the other side of the fence, it's what it looks like that matters not what it is made of.
    I have mixed polyester with no problems, and like the look. This is about half and half.

Name:  DSCI3929c.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  48.0 KB

But it is your stash and you should be happy with it.

Calicoes work just fine in scrap quilts. I always sprinkle a few of them into every scrap quilt.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

If you are ok with poly/cotton blends, then by all means use them. It won't hurt to mix them with your cottons.

I have a small stash of oldie calicoes, and decided they look better kept together. I made this quilt with just my calicoes and a solid.
    Name:  sewbizgirl-u23842-albums19300-590348.JPG
Views: 1829
Size:  160.1 KB
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Go to Bonnie Hunters Quiltville (FB). Learn how to organize scraps and make beautiful scrappy quilts.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Sewbiz your quilt is beautiful.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Sewbiz that is one gorgeous quilt!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I don’t use polyester in my quilts because I don’t want to but my dear friend sure does. She quilts with whatever she likes and I admire her for her ways.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Sounds like you're ready to get rid of things that just don't care for any longer. Good for you. Why waste time trying to talk yourself into using something that's old, thin, doesn't feel good, doesn't do anything for your spirit to work with?

I've learned a couple tricks that help me purge and I'm satisfied.

1. Rate your fabric 8,9, or 10. If it's less than an 8 on a scale of 1-10, why keep it? Only exception might be neutrals, which can be hard to get excited about.

2. Don't overthink. Work fast. Do I like it or not? How much? 8,9, or 10? Then keep it. If not, donate it. Someone might be looking for what you're giving away.

I have found that I do not start liking fabrics more with time. Just the opposite. And what do I like better than keeping what I love? Nothing!

Thanks for all your replies, I went back and purged more fabrics I plain don’t like. I’m not a fan of green so it was really easy to get rid of them. I went through all the flowery calicos and thank you so much Sewbizgirl for the picture of your quilt. It’s exactly what I was looking for with the pretty calicos looking great. I think I have a FQ+ of over 50 different calicos that I like in all colors of the rainbow except black. I expect I can make several lap quilts out of my fabrics. I think I will cut my fabrics in 5” charm squares as I’m not a fan of all those 2.5” squares quilts.

When doing scrappy quilts, even fabrics that you no longer love look lovely next to the fabrics that you do love.

After thirty years of quilting and never throwing away scraps, I've done scrap quilts for the last five years. String quilts are wonderful because you can use everything but the kitchen sink but warning: the scrap bin never gets smaller.

Blog Entries
    I love making scrap quilts and I swear those scraps multiply.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I think scrap quilts can have any style of fabric in them. Using some fabrics with polyester probably won't harm being in the quilt with calicos. Just go for it! Also, string quilts have many styles of fabrics too and look very nice.
    Sewbizgirl-love your scrap quilt.

Also, I wanted to add that I have been going thru my fabrics and if there was enough yardage I packed it up and gave it to a friend as she makes bibs for nursing home patients. But---if you only have bits and pieces of scraps, there are many options. Good Luck

Sewbiz, your quilt beautifully illustrates what can be done with outdated fabric. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Sewbiz, your quilt beautifully illustrates what can be done with outdated fabric. Very nice.
    I agree. I have a lot of scraps that look just like the ones in your quilt. You've made them beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Oh, Sewbiz. That quilt is gorgeous. I really love it. It is perfect.

sewbizgirl, I love your calico stars quilt!

I started out mixing all sorts of fabrics together in a quilt; my stash was not big enough to do a quilt in one genre of fabric. One of my goals now is to get a more unified look to my quilting.
    Lisa

Power Poster
    sewbizgirl - thank you for posting your picture. I do like the calico type prints - but had no idea of what do do with them - your quilt is great!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I think you can mix calicos with other fabrics just fine. However, I don't like mixing polyester with cotton. Maybe I'm the lone ranger on this though.
    Me too, no poly in my quilts.

I had no idea what I was doing when I make my first quilt only 5 years ago. My mother had given me a box of scraps. I sewed them all together in strips, not know any other way. There was polyester, cotton, blends, jersey, and seersucker of all things. I didn't know if it would even come out right in the end. I was doing QAYG from You Tube. It is on my bed 5 years later, and I love it! Ugly, yes, but warm and functional and just right for me. All of those fabrics worked into a quilt for sure.

I have done scrap quilts different ways - but I always use the same fabrics together. I don't mix fabrics on a quilt

I have tried to keep colors together but I like the crazy all mixed up patches too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast