Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Quilting >

Scrap Quilting

Scrap Quilting

Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

often where scrap quilts are concerned- color has nothing to do with anything- you sort according to values- without worry about color- dark, medium and light is what makes scrap quilts work...color is just...bonus life.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor
I sew light to dark pieces together. It seems to balance it out.
thats what I have done
Attached Thumbnails attachment-194884.jpe  
Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

with scrappy quilts, the more variation, the better. that's why some folks just put the pieces in a bag and sew as they are drawn out... randomly. that said, i just don't like to sew similar pieces together, so put those back in as i go.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 AM

I am using scrap squares in the 10 MInute block and also the Split 9 square, both are turning out quilt beautiful. Sashing emphasizes the beauty of scraps too. Or make a string quilt, strips of scraps, all sizes trimed to one width and sashed, people win prizes for making them. Use them up whichever way you can.

Carol J.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
often where scrap quilts are concerned- color has nothing to do with anything- you sort according to values- without worry about color- dark, medium and light is what makes scrap quilts work...color is just...bonus life.
I like this suggestion and will work from this. I am cutting all my scraps into strips of various widths. I think this will be a good way to do the first one. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have many strips to cut as I have been saving scraps for a long time.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Banned

Since you're cutting strips, I'd do a string quilt.
I've made several, never paying any attention to which strip I was adding, except if it was the same fabric.
One of the ones I did putting 4 blocks together, I tried to keep the centers (triangles) the same fabric. Way too much trouble and not worth the angst.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 AM

I make a lot of scrap quilts (usually strip piece) for the quilts I make for the cancer patients. I stash them by lights and darks and when sewing, don't even look at the colors. I just pick the top one out of the dark stack and the top one out of the light stack and begin sewing. I used to not like scrappy quilts, but have found quite a few patterns that appeal to me and they are a great way not to waste fabric.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I do the paper bag piecing technique. put all the scraps in a paper bag and use 'em as you pull 'em. If I don't like one piece next to another I toss it back. It's sort of like catch and release fishing!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM

I believe I think light/dark mostly in scrap quilts and I don't like to use the fabric more than once in a block. Other than that, anything goes, the more fabrics the better.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
This is my view also. ;)