Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Therapy System >

Scrap Therapy System

Scrap Therapy System

Old 07-24-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter
None of LQS are ScrapTherapy participants. I am pulling together enough strips for Bonnie Hunters' (www.quiltville.com) Weed Whacker. I have 2.5, 3.5 and 5inch squares cut but I thought this strip scrappy will clear out my shorter pieces. I will look for the ScrapTherapy books though. Thanks for something new to me.
I just looked at that pattern - I really like it!!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:53 AM

I did this a few weeks ago. A Lifetime movie, my Accuquilt Go & my piles of scraps. Now all are organized into drawers. In fact, I ended up last week going thru all my bins of fabric. Anything smaller than about a yard went into organized drawers too! I feel better now. I can't stand trying to do work in a totally messy sewing room. Oh yea, I even moved the furniture around too!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM

Very nicely organized there.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 AM

I don't want to be restricted to pre-cut shapes. Never know what I'll make next.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:52 AM

the two to four inch squares would be great in a cathedral window quilt the more scrappy the better. I got an accuquilt and cut all of my older fabric just like you have . It made the job so quick and now when I need squares anywhere from 1in to 5in I go right to those totes
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I did this a few weeks ago. A Lifetime movie, my Accuquilt Go & my piles of scraps. Now all are organized into drawers. In fact, I ended up last week going thru all my bins of fabric. Anything smaller than about a yard went into organized drawers too! I feel better now. I can't stand trying to do work in a totally messy sewing room. Oh yea, I even moved the furniture around too!
I did the same thing (except with an audiobook instead of a movie) and I love it! I tried to be "smart" about the shapes I cut so they could be used together in a project. I now have a bin of 3.5" squares, 3"finished half square triangles, 6.5" squares and 6 " finished half square triangles. Another bin holds 2.5" squares, 2" finished hst, and 4.5" squares. As soon as I sew the binding on my king size turning twenty and get it to the laq, I am going to try my hand at designing my own quilt using my pre-cut shapes. I love my Accuquilt! I found cutting up my scraps very relaxing.
:thumbup:
Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Got rid of 2 large bags of scraps, just didn't have the room for them anywhere, no matter how many times I moved them. Finally donated them to Camp that makes comfort quilts. Thank you for refreshing this idea and with my new projects I am going to to try to do as you did as I go along and hopefuly one day will have enough to make a scrappy top.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 AM

My scraps are in the largest size I can cut them into.
I like charms size and 2 1/2 strips best but have cut as small as 1 1/2 strips. strips work best, small squares are too much work to put togather when you can sew strips togather then cut into squares for 4 and 9 patches.
The lenght dosnt matter even short strips can be sewn togather.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:02 AM

Since I began quilting 4 years ago, I have graciouslly received almost all of my fabrics from people who did not want their fabrics any longer. I finally had to admit that my fabric stash was way out of control. So, I began cutting squares from 1 1/2 up to 5 inches. It is a long and slow process...but it amazes me how much space it does save. Plus, cutting the fabrics is relaxing. I know from Quiltville and all of Bonnies quilting projects..it will be fabulous to just dig in and create.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 AM

When we finally finish the new kitchen and get the stuff out of the storage container and my quilt studio. I will spend a week or 2 getting my scraps orangized. I so miss my studio! Luann