Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy ideas. What do YOU do with scraps? >

Scrappy ideas. What do YOU do with scraps?

Scrappy ideas. What do YOU do with scraps?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 AM

quiltmaker's newest magazine has an article where the lady sews any size, any color and keeps sewing until it can be cut into the size square you want, this is done without a foundation and she calls it "making fabric". I'm doing this with 2 containers of scraps, the first day I sewed 25 blocks before I got up.....normally I would throw away small scraps but not anymore
Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Lots of good ideas for scraps. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
beware of giving threads to birds for nesting!!!!! Read somewhere the "little ones" can choke on the threads...
The threads can also become tangled in the babies feet, (claws/toes?) Not a good thing.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM

As a newbie (2 yrs) I cut mine into 1.5x6" strips and made a fabric wreath. I had many fond memories what each strip came from and proud how much I have a accomplished. AND I have a cool wall art that I made.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM

I can't imagine how long it will take me to use up my scraps of almost 30 years of quilting. (I have them all sorted by size and color, measured and marked). I DO know that the first one will be for ME to remind me of all the quilts I have shared with so many others. I have made only one 'scrappy' quilt and wasn't even from scraps. It was a queen PP star that I cut a piece from the corner of many new pieces of my stash. Sounds stupid, but it turned out to be a great quilt until it came to tearing off the paper. Enjoy seeing so many of QB members quilts, scrappy and all others.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Default Scrappy ideas....

Originally Posted by Doxiemomma View Post
Hey everyone. So I was wondering if I am the only one that keeps small scraps...What do you use your scraps for? I know you ladies and gents are very creative, so lets share some ideas! I throw all of mine in a bag as I am cutting, and plan on stuffing them all inside of a pillow case to make into a small dog bed. Or maybe I will sew a nice fancy dog bed and use the scraps to fill it. I hope there isn't already a thread on this. I did a quick search and didn't see one.
Thanks for the "scrappy" dog bed idea, it might take years though as I've got a REALLY big dog.... and I'd have to use all my tiny tiny scraps as with the other ones, that's what I make, it uses up quite a bit and one always need a little gift for a friend along the line or I even gave them for a market sale for charity
Attached Thumbnails placemat-f.-gisela.jpg   placemats-f.-africa-market-5-.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I know you are getting some tremendous ideas on this board. There are some wonderful scrappy quilts. Here is one of mine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398982[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398985[/ATTACH]
Top only
twinkie: I'm inquisitive as to how many inches shrinks up with your quilt with the feather quilting? I had sent out a quilt to be MQ'd with close meander and it shrunk up several inches to my amazement. Did you allow for the shrinkage when you made this quilt top? Your quilt is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM

I'm currently using my scraps to make a Dear Jane quilt - which is my way of practising a large variety of blocks and thus techniques without spending much money on fabric. Since the blocks are small, the parts are even smaller and so a lot of tiny scraps can be used.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:20 PM

My latest WIP. I am making it for a silent auction to benefit a family of a friend. Her daughter has been in the hospital for diagnosed her with vasculitis.
Attached Thumbnails img_20130226_073423%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doxiemomma View Post
Hey everyone. So I was wondering if I am the only one that keeps small scraps...What do you use your scraps for? I know you ladies and gents are very creative, so lets share some ideas! I throw all of mine in a bag as I am cutting, and plan on stuffing them all inside of a pillow case to make into a small dog bed. Or maybe I will sew a nice fancy dog bed and use the scraps to fill it. I hope there isn't already a thread on this. I did a quick search and didn't see one.
My scraps are done a la Bonnie Hunter. Finding string blocks has opened up my world. There is a gorgeous string block called herringbone on www.quiltinggallary.com read the first two paragraphs and it says in second paragraph free patterns, etc. Herringbone is the first tutorial - what a great way to use scraps & strings. I use small strings btw - mostly 1" a bit under and over. I have containers of 1 1/2" strips, 2" & 2 1/2" strips.