Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrappy quilt question

Blog Entries
    I want to make a scrappy quilt but I'm having a problem. I always coordinate my fabrics on a regular quilt, so using scraps are hard for me because they don't all go together. How do I get past this? I read somewhere to cut all my lights and darks - then put them in a bag (1 bag with lights and 1 bag with darks) then pull out 1 from each bag and sew it together. Is that pretty much how it works? I can use all the help I can get on this please.

Banned
    that is the way to do it.

I have the same problem as you. And I haven't been able to make a quilt I like that way. I still coordinate my fabrics. I did a "scappy" Dresden plate quilt -- each plate is a color scheme....and it was still amazing to me how some of those still looked good together.

I just made my first truly scrappy piece- just a table runner- using ideas from www.quiltville.com- and yes, like Holice said, just grabbing the next piece and using it. It was so much fun- I didn't have any anxiety about using "just" scraps, and I was surprised how beautiful all the fabrics looked together. Try a small project and see if you like it!

I did a king size strip quilt--grab and sew--the rule is you HAVE to use the one you grab unless it is the same color as the previous one :>)
    Mile a minute is an easy one, too.
    It is really amazing how it all works!

I am so happy you ask this question. I have the same problem and putting them into a bag and sewing them as I pull them out seems like a great idea to me. Thank you for asking!!

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one that has trouble using scraps. I just started a crazy quilt, and I told my DH that I know why its called "Crazy" Its driving me crazy. I like for everything to be organized, and planned :)

Blog Entries
    It is hard to let go of "controlling" the colors :lol: I am going to start with 9 patches.. It is when I try using more elaborate patterns that I have severe control issues :roll: I am hoping this will help me with this problem :D:D:D

When I first started making scrappy quilts, I had all my scraps and then used a white or off-white fabric to tie it together and act as my neutralizer.

Blog Entries
    Every quilt I like best is scrappy but has lots of white or off white. Any color looks good in this setting. I love the scrappy look and I love using pieces too small for most quilters.:)

I used the light/dark paper bag method with the first two scrappy log cabins I made. Some of the strips clashed pretty bad when I was sewing them together but let me tell you, those clashes gave those quilts LIFE and PERSONALITY in a big way!!

Do not be afraid to sew stuff together that doesn't match or that clashes!

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    I did a king size strip quilt--grab and sew--the rule is you HAVE to use the one you grab unless it is the same color as the previous one :>)
    Mile a minute is an easy one, too.
    It is really amazing how it all works!
    Whenever I tried the grab bag thing, I found myself 'cheating'! :oops:

I just cannot do a scappy quilt even the bag method is so hard I have to coordinate my bag fabric I know shame on me but scrappy needs a pattern :)

I did what Chairaquilts said, www.quiltville.com has many scrappy ideas and I love using Bonnie hunters ideas.

I have done the light/dark bag method. It was initially out of my "comfort zone". I used up a lot of those odd shaped strips that way. Sew them on squares of muslin-no stretching because of the bias edges.
    The scrappy quilt I liked the best was cut in the "tumbler" shape in an equal amount and I sewed strips of light/dark/light/dark. Then laid the strips on the floor and played until I liked how it looked. Then labeled the rows so they wouldn't get mixed up and sewed them together. The end result will surprise you. That may be a more comfortable method for some.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget you can use the reverse side of a piece of fabric too if you are randomly drawing pieces from light/dark bags!! Our guild has had some scrappy workshops, we did the "draw from a bag" too. If once in a while something doesn't look quite right to you, go ahead and include it, you'd be amazed at how everything does work together in the end.

I make "planned scrappy" quilts. i use scraps but I like to put colors that look good next to each other. I can't just grab and stitch. I'm picky I guess.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the ideas. I'm just going to do it. What ever comes out of the bag I'll sew together. I will off sent it with white or off white. Now I have to decide on that. I guess the first quilt will be the hardest to ajust my mindset on and after seeing the result of it the next won't be so hard.

The way you describe it is a great way to piece and quilt top using scraps. Go for it :)

Quote Originally Posted by kateyb
    I have done the light/dark bag method. It was initially out of my "comfort zone". I used up a lot of those odd shaped strips that way. Sew them on squares of muslin-no stretching because of the bias edges.
    The scrappy quilt I liked the best was cut in the "tumbler" shape in an equal amount and I sewed strips of light/dark/light/dark. Then laid the strips on the floor and played until I liked how it looked. Then labeled the rows so they wouldn't get mixed up and sewed them together. The end result will surprise you. That may be a more comfortable method for some.
    Like this idea, will definitely give it a try. I'm a very structured personality and it gets in the way of creativity, got to learn to lighten up. This may help, thanks.

I had the same problem. But I've overcome it. I put all my scrapes in a box, closed my eyes, picked out the piece of fabric, and no matter how ugly I thought it looked at the time. They turned out pretty cool. I pattern I made didn't use lights and darks, so I didn't separate them. But if you are making a pattern like Log Cabin with half light and half dark I'd separate them. Other wise, just dig in and pretend you are color blind until you have it finished.

I too had serious issues with the just grab from the bag and sew method. After spending years of each quilt carefully selecting each and every fabric ... it was sooo hard to disregard what was now second nature. But ..... I did it and yes there where times when sewing , I wanted to retreat and plan it out, but fought the craving for some order daily. Glad I was able to overcome ... the results are great, so just go for it. Throw all caution to the wind .. live and quilt on the wild side.

It was hard for me to just grab n sew the first four, then it got much easier! They look SO neat when done--even using the "uglies"

please don't worry about colors ''matching'' in your scrappy quilt!! I've found that lime green looks GREAT next to hot pink or deep purple when the entire quilt is finished. Yea, that moment you are sewing those 2 colors together is a bit ''hard to do' the first time but then just throw caution to the wind and as they say...go for it!! The worst that can happen is when you have all your blocks sewn together and you really really don't like it...you don't have to finish it. Call it a good learning experience but I have a sneaking suspicion that you will fall in love the scrappy mindset!!

jodi in lsavenworth

Sometimes it helps to use one constant fabric, be it either the light or the dark. the opposite would be your scraps.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast