Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: scrappy quilt stabilizer?

Blog Entries

Smile scrappy quilt stabilizer?

I am wanting to try my hand at making a scrappy quilt and was wondering, can I use muslin for the stabilizer? And do you sew the blocks to each other or do you use borders? Any help would be soooooooo appreciated.

Blog Entries
    you can make a scrappy quilt any way you want to- if you need a foundation- muslin is fine- or any thin fabric
    if you want to just sew your blocks together you certainly can- or you can use sashings/ and borders- really depends on what type of blocks/design you are planning- there are hundreds/thousands of scrappy quilt patterns- perhaps browse some galleries and find a pattern that appeals to you...if you want to just start sewing scraps together in a 'crazy quilt' style you probably would not need sashings/ or borders-it just depends---and it is all personal choices
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    As you can see, very few rules when it comes to scrappy quilts, or even quilts. That's why making quilts is so wonderful. Your imagination is your limit.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

All most all of the scrap quilts I have made do not have any stabilzer. There are some "patterns" that a stabilzer of some type is helpful. String quilt, crazy patch and a few others come to mind. The type that benifits the most from a stabilzer is irregular shapes, or pieces that are very small.
    Muslin is a good foundation for these types, but other fabrics can be used as well. Old sheets, old pillow cases, ugly fabric , old shirts, interfacing , and some use ..used dryer sheets. If you are using a "ugly" fabric just make sure the fabric does not show through to the quilt fabrics being used. It may be that the wrong side of the fabric is more suitable.
    Addind a border or sashing to each bock is a preference. Take a look at the "scappy quilt show" thread for pages and pages of insipration. Just use your search function at the top of the page, of the message board.

and if you choose to use a fabric foundation you can use an "ugly" from your stash instead of buying something new.

cjr
    I would prewash the muslin. It shrinkks.
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

Blog Entries
    I just finished a scrap quilt and had lots of fun at it. Did not use any stabilizer and it turned out just fine.

Here's some ideas.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html
    Check out this website. She has some great ideas!
    http://www.quiltville.com/index.html
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    All most all of the scrap quilts I have made do not have any stabilzer. There are some "patterns" that a stabilzer of some type is helpful. String quilt, crazy patch and a few others come to mind. The type that benifits the most from a stabilzer is irregular shapes, or pieces that are very small.
    Muslin is a good foundation for these types, but other fabrics can be used as well. Old sheets, old pillow cases, ugly fabric , old shirts, interfacing , and some use ..used dryer sheets. If you are using a "ugly" fabric just make sure the fabric does not show through to the quilt fabrics being used. It may be that the wrong side of the fabric is more suitable.
    Addind a border or sashing to each bock is a preference. Take a look at the "scappy quilt show" thread for pages and pages of insipration. Just use your search function at the top of the page, of the message board.
    Thank you for your help. I think what I have in mind is the crazy patch (start with center piece and add pieces to make 12" blocks) I checked out the quilts at "scrappy quilt show" beautiful quilts!

Blog Entries
    Thank You. Yes she does dublb.