Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilt strips >

Scrappy quilt strips

Scrappy quilt strips

Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 AM

This web site
http://z.about.com/d/quilting/1/0/t/...ppy_strips.jpg
has a quilt that I'm interested in making. I can see they are strips of different widths sewn together. The person said they were sewn on a backing, but are they sewn together like paper piecing, then iron each piece? The quilt on the web site has lots of little pieces in strips of many colors and is framed in black with square strips at the bottom. (Just in case you can't get to the web site) Does anyone have any helpful suggestions to get me started? Thank you. d
Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 AM

I would guess it is quilt as you go.

http://sewmanyquiltstoolittletime.bl...-tutorial.html
Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 AM

Sewing With Nancy had a program on PBS recently showing the quilt as you go with strips. I don't know if there is a video available.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

We sew scraps onto adding machine paper and then remove the paper after the edges of the fabric are trimmed flush with the paper. There is a tute on this website that I learned this from. Hopefully some one will remember which one. I'll try and look for the link too.

Got it!

String piecing on adding machine paper.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56940-1.htm

You can also sew it onto muslin and then you have an extra fabric layer. I do not like that because it makes the quilt heavy.

To remove the adding machine paper make sure you use small stitches when sewing it on. Spray water on it with a spray bottle and with fingers pull off paper.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Here's what I think she's done: Cut lightweight muslin strips in different widths; Using scraps stitch a piece down, then using the stitch & flip method, work your way down the whole strip; trim the front pieces to the width of the muslin strip. Lay a backing right side down on the table and lay a batting on top of that, then lay this first strip down either at one edge or in the middle. Make another muslin covered strip of scraps and then lay it face down on the first strip, and stitch it to the first one with a ¼" seam right through all layers so that you are quilting it as you go. Then open out that 2nd piece & smooth it flat and continue to make muslin covered strips & add them until the complete sandwich is covered. It might make it easier to start in the middle & then work out to both sides so that you don't have the whole quilt sandwich scrunched into the machine opening. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 AM

Thank you all. Starting in the middle will also be a huge help. We had another 8-10 inches of snow and am staying home to start my new quilt.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 AM

That looks like crazy quilting to me. Do a search on Google for crazy quilt directions. I'll see if I can find the ones I used. A couple of years ago, I was involved in a Senior Citizen group. We had a mini class; ended up making a whole quilt and raffled it off. We did the sashing in black; it was pretty neat.

I've been searching; can't find the same link I had before. Here is a good tutorial; you could use longer strips also. http://andiejohnsonsews.blogspot.com...ilt-block.html
Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Also you could cut your foundation into squares, sew and flip your strips,trim to the foundation square, arrange into a pleasing pattern like a log cabin for example and put together.