Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scrappy quilt >

scrappy quilt

scrappy quilt

Old 09-04-2011, 05:41 AM

what is a scrappy I always thought it was all kinds of fabric colors strips or whatever you had on hand and that you did not have to worry about placement just go with the flo I am new at this so need some in put also i find that all the directions for cutting are with a rotary cutter which I bought but do not use because of arthrits can not find anything where they quilt the old way with sizzors template I am about ready to give it up and go back to crochet I read in a post for the postage stamp quilt that if you keep your blocks 2 or under that it would not matter about placement or colors that when finish it would look great but am thing it would take a lot of 2 inch blocks just to make a throw will put into search to see how big for throw I guess
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 AM

Your quilt, your rules. :)
Scrappy is anything you want it to be.
Make your own templates and quilt the old fashioned way.
I use a Martelli rotary cutter - the handle is at right angles to the blade. My wrist does not hurt.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:55 AM

I guess everyone has their inturpitatino of " scrappy". But I agree with you. Scrappy is just as u discribed. Now some ppl get a bit more ofrganized than other son it.. and do a blue scrappy or a red , etc.. prehaps has floral scrappy... kcrappy..
I do not see why a scrappy would NEED to be under 2 inches in block size. I make what I call scrappyies all the time and I use what ever size block I choose.. I sew for the Veterans alot so , time/energy/$ is of the essense. I usually choose a block no smaller than 4 inches...But then , I'm not ur normal , avg quilter.. I break alot of rules...... ppl love the items just the same... The only REAL rules are, Do what you like. It's your project make it like want. I rotary some and I cut plenty with my scissors.... your choice.
No need to give up one hbby over another... I love to crochet too!!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:31 AM

In my opinion, scrappy is whatever you want it to be! Do a search and look through all of the variations of what people call scrap quilts and you will be amazed and enchanted with the beauty. As for using scissors or a cutter; it does not matter. Use what is best for you!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:50 AM

Rotary cutters: keep trying them out, I can guarantee there is one out there you will be able to use well. There is no way i would ever go back to scissors as they hurt waaayyyy too much. The LQS's and Joann's will let you try them out.
Fiskars, Olfa, Gingher, Martelli, and more.

ali
Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 AM

When making anything scrappy I cut then toss everything in paper bags and randomly pull form the bags as I piece for a truly unplanned look
Old 09-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Who is telling you you can't use a scissors? Make your own templates and use your scissors. When I started my mom made templates out of cardboard and put sandpaper on one side so it wouldn't slip for me while I marked around it. Use what works for you. If you want a quilt out of squares go for it - size doesn't matter. If you want to make a Postage stamp quilt but your squares are bigger than 2 inches you could always call it an Inflated Postage stamp quilt.
If you want to quilt remember there are no set in stone rules, only suggestions.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 AM

My first quilt was a scrappy but I didn't know it at the time.It was make up of 60 degree triangles, 9 in a block which was triangle shaped. The design comes from the color placement of the small triangles, followed by the color placement of the large triangles. I spend about $120 on the fabric to get just the correct jewel tones and the color is only repeated 3 times each. I think it looks like a church's stained glass window without the leading. Imagine my beginner's surprise when I found out that this quilt that took me 2 months to make was a scrappy because it had so many colors and wasn't a recognized pattern! Obviously scrappy isn't always made from your scraps or put together in a random fashion. Nor, since this was a learner's quilt with no instruction, is a scrappy quilt always well made! LOL I had one member of the quilt police see the top and while she pointed out that many of the triangle points had been cut off, etc, she did point out that she didn't like the choice of colors! Pooh on her. I love the colors, but that doesn't put the points back. LOL
Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Scrappy is anything you want it to be.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by bunniequilter
When making anything scrappy I cut then toss everything in paper bags and randomly pull form the bags as I piece for a truly unplanned look
ditto