Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrappy Strings Border Suggestions

I'm looking for suggestions for the border of this almost completed top.

Should I just add a black border and keep it simple or I was thinking of taking the strings and going around the top to follow the color wheel or does anyone have a different option?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    i wouldn't use all the colors in the border. i feel it would distract from the beautiful blocks. i'd be tempted to choose one color and make a narrower border.

I think a border of alternating black with your jewel colors would look nice. Each block would be half a triangle. Use your blue strips (for example), and only make the bottom half of your strippy triangle. It is a 4-sided figure, a flat top with sloping sides. Try several different varieties of borders, and audition them, before committing to one. Love double and triple borders, adds a look of strength and stability to scrappy quilts, in my view.

Blog Entries
    I really like the value of the gray fabric it is laying on. Black might be a little harsh - but it would work too. I don't think it needs a border. GORGEOUS as is.

I love the idea of a strong black. It is already a bright and popping quilt but black makes it look more like an Amish quilt. I love the strong color contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts
    I'm looking for suggestions for the border of this almost completed top.

Should I just add a black border and keep it simple or I was thinking of taking the strings and going around the top to follow the color wheel or does anyone have a different option?
    I am making this same quilt, but with a white diagonal strip instead of the black you used. I like yours very much. How wide did you make your black strip?

I only have about a dozen blocks made, but I guess it is too late to start over. Will be interested in the board's response to your request for border suggestions.

I like black- the dark rug it is on shows how good a dark border would look. It is a stunning quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I really like the value of the gray fabric it is laying on. Black might be a little harsh - but it would work too. I don't think it needs a border. GORGEOUS as is.
    I agree, I don't think it needs a border. It is beautiful as is.

Wow! So pretty!

I think quiltnan had it on the button.

That is stunning! I absolutely love it.

Gorgeous string quilt! Your use of value makes those blocks look like gemstones!

I really like the look of that rug as a border too! If you could find a dark gray fabric like that it would look great. If it were mine I would be tempted to put a dark gray or black border of about 2" finished size then a very, very narrow border of your pieced rainbow colors blending from one to the other. Yellow shading to orange, shading to red, shading to purple shading to blue shading to green which can shade back into the yellow. I would piece the strings then cut them so they finish no wider than 1/2" then repeat the dark gray black border at around 4" wide.

Blog Entries
    OMG I love the quilt. I do not think I have ever fallen in love with a quilt so fast or so hard. Did you purchase all the material special for it??? Did you have a pattern that told you what to buy etc?? I Must make a quilt like this.
    any "hints" THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I think it is gorgeous. Whatever you decide will be wonderful......

you will not believe this, but i did a quilt VERY similar to this, except mine was rectangle, actually used dryer sheets for the foundation. i did a narrow black scrappy border, about an inch, then did multiple stripes with the strips. i know there is a name for it, but i don't recall what it is. the stripes would be horizontal on either side, verticle on top and bottom and on an angle in the corners. when i do use a border on my quilts i usually make them 1/2 the width of the block.

Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    I love the idea of a strong black. It is already a bright and popping quilt but black makes it look more like an Amish quilt. I love the strong color contrast.
    Ditto!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Ditto! Black!

I am a fan of scrappy bindings. Cut a bunch of 2" strips, join them together and use them for the binding. Great way to pull your blocks out in a subtle manner without taking away from the black framing.

Blog Entries
    I think a charcoal colored binding is all that is needed. Beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous scrappy string quilt. Would you mind sharing with us your planning process so that your blocks came together so each of the four HSTs of the same colors met and looked like a block? Any practical hints/suggestions you could share would be appreciated.

Oh, yes, I think a black border is all that is needed to frame this gorgeous quilt.

It was made using scraps gathered from various sources. The only thing I bought for it was 4 oranges so I'd have a little more variety.

No, pattern is needed. I cut 7" squares out of a light weight muslin and the black middle strips 1" , all the colors vary in width from 3/4 of a inch to 2" (a few 2.5" strips may have joined the party). After sewing on the strips I squared them up to 6.5". I've still got to sew all the blocks together.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmK
    OMG I love the quilt. I do not think I have ever fallen in love with a quilt so fast or so hard. Did you purchase all the material special for it??? Did you have a pattern that told you what to buy etc?? I Must make a quilt like this.
    any "hints" THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I did a layout with graph paper and wrote on each muslin piece the colors needed for the block. I only messed up one out of 120 :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by PWinston
    Gorgeous scrappy string quilt. Would you mind sharing with us your planning process so that your blocks came together so each of the four HSTs of the same colors met and looked like a block? Any practical hints/suggestions you could share would be appreciated.

Oh, yes, I think a black border is all that is needed to frame this gorgeous quilt.

Gorgeous!!!!!!
    Black border-a narrow one----to not distract from your gorgeous quilt

I love your quilt! I would stay with the black for bordering. Your colors just pop! Love it love it love it.

Your quilt is beautiful. I think a border frames and gives the quilt a completed look. I agree with the others a dark border would really make it pop.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast