Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps, out of hand >

Scraps, out of hand

Scraps, out of hand

Old 04-03-2016, 04:31 PM

Default Scraps, out of hand

I few years ago, I sorted my scraps by like fabric. Boys, girls, country, woodies, flowers, patriotic, Christmas, animals, fall, baby and more. I did make a few scrap quilts from these but yesterday I last week I decided to cut my scraps in sizes somewhat like Bonnie Hunter's method. I got some out and pressed and cutting took 6 hours. Now I combine all my scraps in bags and I have 5 large garbage bags to do. I will increase the different sizes I will cut. I never knew I had so much scraps. We pay for those also. I just don't make quilts and some of things I make I sell at craft sales. I have enough scraps to make quilts forever. What a job! I let it go Too Long!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:40 PM

I understand completely. I have been going thru scraps making little things to use them up. They never seem to completely go away, so once I have made a few things with a certain set, I donate the scraps to the Guild's free table.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:07 PM

I'm sorting mine too. I don't have a sewing space of my own. I sew the kitchen table and keep my frame and storage chests in my bedroom. My poor dh had been VERY patient, but the bins of scraps I think are getting to him. I just can't seem to get them sewn up fast enough. I've been cutting them with my Go cutter,but still have a lot to cut through. I've finally started putting some in buggies to donate to my guild white elephant sale.
Sometimes I feel like I'm devoting more time to scrap control than I am to actually quilting.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

I use up larger scraps with making a matching pillowcase to go with a quilt. I also use up larger scraps for the backing.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:55 AM

I sew in a church group. The word has gotten out that I actually enjoy making scrap quilts and I get bags and boxes of scraps that folks who are downsizing want to see go to use. Talk about needing organization: I cut strips for a log cabin while I'm running the embroidery machine on another project but I'm convinced that I have enough scraps to last me several lifetimes. What fun!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:31 AM

So far I really try to not buy material without a project. No one can do that all the time so I do have a small stash. The very worst thing I have done is I bought a lot of different greens to make a green clamshell quilt but I try very hard to finish the project I'm on before starting the new and with that in mind I have lost interest in the green clam shell quilt. In fact I look at this green material hanging on hangers in my closet and cringe. Most of it looks so ugly to me. What was I thinking. I do have a friend who also quilts and often she will need a certain color for a quilt she wants to make so she goes through my stash and if she sees something she can use she can have it. She and I had a good time shopping for all those greens and I will use them on backings and who knows maybe I will get a new green idea.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:34 AM

Me too! Only I store scraps in totes ... 6 plus 2 to be cut into strips ...
Old 04-04-2016, 05:20 AM

I did that earlier this year. I had cut my scraps into 2 1/2" strips of varying lengths. I started sewing and made 19 tops .. They were really pretty. I donated them to a group that will quilt them for battered women. I have to say my scraps are growing again!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:22 AM

I have donated a lot of my scraps to linus group . I make a quilt I have leftovers well if there are just scraps not anything of size like a fat quarter I will donate that material also. Since I have made a quilt from it and there is not much to work with I just donate
Old 04-04-2016, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I have been giving my scraps and yardage that I have fallen out of love with to a lady in church who does not have much money to spend.