Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scraps

I realize that I am probably asking the wrong group ;-) , but I have been reorganizing my sewing space and going through my fabric stash and was wondering: when is a scrap of fabric considered too small? Apparently I have kept everything over the years and now have some scraps that literally are 1-1/2" square! Just looking for some opinions on guidelines.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When the scraps are too small for you, you can either use them for stuffing or send them to someone who makes minis.

DH uses 5/8" squares in his tiny piece quilts.

Power Poster
    Believe it or not there are people on this board that are making quilts with 1 1/2 in. squares.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I cut scraps as I go most of the time and keep them organized. I'm planning a jelly roll quilt and a scrap flying geese quilt, so ---- a. one 2 1/2" strip and b. one 5 3/4 squares for speed piece geese and c.) no more than four 3 x 5 bricks for geese. I try really hard to throw things smaller than this away, but I've found a little container to save them. Can't seem to through away even bits.

Keep itsy-bitsies for "crumb quilts". They are so fun to make. With the cost of fabric going up, I want to get my money's worth!

Blog Entries
    After seeing collage quilts, I am trying to save every teeny, tiny to make one. They are fascinating and beautiful wallhangings.

I save everything that's larger than 1". I used to toss it, but I have a friend who is trying to get me more interested in scrap quilting. I may try it someday; if not, I'll donate my scraps to her - she uses them all!

Banned
    i toss all those small pieces in a box to use in my class "Skinny Strips and Little Bitty Pieces" They are great for string quilts. I will have them close buy and when I want a break will do a block or tao.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    1 in HST is the smallest I keep. Anything smaller goes to a friend who uses it for stuffing and itty bitty scrap quilts

I keep alot of small scraps. You can make strip quilts or tablerunners, purse, bibs, wall hangongs.

I save anything bigger that 2". The smaller stuff goes into a ziploc bag to send off to a friend. I save a lot of my little stuff and give to an art teacher I know, too. she uses all kinds of things in her classes.

Blog Entries
    I only save them down to the size that I know that I will actually use.
    Anything smaller gets put into another container to be given away :D:D:D

I'm making a Postage Stamp Quilt with 1 1/2" squares (for a finished 1" square)!!! I need 10,000+ pieces. In my scrap quilts I use pieces as small as 1" square.

Blog Entries
    what is too small is what is smaller than what you go back and put to use...if you are an applique=er then you probably use some pretty small pieces at times, if not then there is nothing wrong with sorting them out and passing them on to someone who will use them. i donate small scraps to individuals here on the board, the elementary school art department, the pre-school, the boy scouts, and the senior center, all of which love getting them :thumbup:

So I guess what you all are saying is that I need to go back and rescue some fabric from my trashcan! At one point I was doing a paper pieced applique jacket and bought a lot of 1/8ths of fabric (the smallest you can buy at Joanns) and have a lot of long, skinny strips. Thanks for all your input(s)!

They're never too small for me. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
    I'm making a Postage Stamp Quilt with 1 1/2" squares (for a finished 1" square)!!! I need 10,000+ pieces. In my scrap quilts I use pieces as small as 1" square.
    Wow, will love to see a picture of it when it is done.

I give my scraps to the art teacher at my school. She appreciates and uses them and then I don't have to figure out what to do with them or where to store them.... Any art teacher at a middle or high school will put them to good use!

Blog Entries
    I'll go as small as 1" and at times even 3/4" for crumb quilts. I just started my first one.

What are crumb quilts? I have lots of scraps and as a senior citizen I have to use everything. Fabric is getting so expensive.

For me anything smaller than about a 3" square goes into a bag, when the bag is full I give it to a friend who does mini's. Goodness she uses pieces that finish to 1/4" or sometimes even smaller. She loves me--grin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirely
    What are crumb quilts? I have lots of scraps and as a senior citizen I have to use everything. Fabric is getting so expensive.
    Shirley, Crumb quilts are made from tiny pieces of fabric. Here is a link to a tutorial that you might find helpful. http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml They are fun and I can see where they could be addictive. If you google crumb quilt tutorials you'll find lots more great info :-P

Hi What is a crumb quilt?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pamusa63
    Hi What is a crumb quilt?
    They are fun quilts made with small scraps of fabric. Here is a tutorial with pics http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast