Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scraps..........

I cut mine into 6 1/2 " squares, then 5", then strips 3 1/2" down to 2"--rest goes into string quilt tub. I have plastic totes that I keep these in.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234Irene
    I've just acquired a LOT of scraps. This is good considering that I love scrappy quilts. Some of the "scraps" are fairly large, but not at large as par say a fat quarter. Should I cut these scraps into squares? strips? What would be the best way to make the best use of these scraps. I've seen on here that some cut strips, some use the accucutter thing....... I thought of cutting the largest square I could from the scraps, then use the smaller left over pieces on the pp project I am working on. Any suggestions?
    I found I never used my scraps because they weren't cut to some usable size. So when I spent 3 days cutting them, I made the largest size square I could out of the piece and then sorted the squares by size and put them in baggies. You can't believe the number of scraps I've used since....and not juts in scrappy quilts. Sometimes I just needed another few pieces of a certain color and there is was. ALSO - if I needed more smaller squares, I just cut the big ones down. If you look at my pictures of SOME HOSPICE QUILTS, the last one is made from 425 two inch squares - all left overs and per cut scraps - and I still had 150 left when I was done.

I don't cut scraps until I know what scrappy quilt I am going to do. I know many do cut ahead of time. For me... I like to just cut according to the quilt plan I have at hand.

I also hate having a bag of scraps around OR throwing out scraps that are big enough for a scrappy quilt. Solution??

Our Quilt Guild has a "Free Table" and you can put them in a clear plastic bag and someone will think it is wonderful. I also have a friend who knows a 86 yr old quilter who loves to make scrappy quilts -- and she thinks it's Christmas when she gets a bag of scraps from me! Don't be afraid to share it forward!

it really depends on what you want to do with them...have fun!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    I would make 5" charms then work from there with remaining scraps
    Are 5" charms considered the most popular size square? Can't say that I've seen too many 6" squares called for in a scrappy quilt. (Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, :) )
    yes, but if you like doing things with HST's 6" is better so it can be cut down when you square it up!

I, too, use Bonnie Hunter's directions for cutting scraps.

Blog Entries
    Loved the Bonnie Hunter link. I sort my scraps into very small 2" or less by color in labeled shoeboxes, strips of all colors and widths and lengths in a larger clear box; 2" to fat quarter size by color, folded to see edges in larger "under the bed" sized clear boxes; pre-pieced leftovers in their own box. I don't have a lot compared to many of you, but this works for me.

I also leave all of them uncut- that way I can do what I want to do when I decide to use them.

Excellent resource and that is how I have done my scraps for years.

some good ideas here!

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    What would you like to make? Have you browsed thru Quiltville? It's very inspiring. Here's the link:

http://quiltville.com/
    ditto - Bonnie Hunter is a great one to give advice on a system for using up those remenants...

I also like Bonnie Hunter's scrap saver ideas. One that I particularly like is piecing your backs. Use 10 1/2" squares and so they finish 10" making the math of how many do I need to sew together for this back much easier. Nice way to use bigger pieces of fabric and not having to go buy another 6 yards or so for a back. Might be alot of seams if you are going to hand quilt, but shouldn't matter for machine quilting or tying.

Blog Entries
    I also loved the Bonnie Hunter link. I love the scrappy look but have not done anything with my scraps. Bonnie makes it look doable. Now something else to add to my 'to do' list.

Saturday I start a one week cruise with her, do you think her organization skills will rub off on me? Probably not, but what fun I anticipate...

I don't have enough of a stash to sort everything by color, but I do sort my scraps by light and dark, since so many scrap quilts depend on value. I don't cut them until I'm using them for a project.

Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed bonnie hunters site, and am currently making progress on the sacks of scraps. All the while, I am seeing several more quilts in the making. The smaller pieces that are left from the strips I am cutting are going into my cake pan to use on the paper piecing project in the making......now I don't feel so bad using my larger pieces in this project. It's all turning out to be a win win situation! Can't wait to get my new sewing room completed to take pics and show all y'all what your inspirations mean to me! I'm so excited, and can't tell you how much your help means to me.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    What would you like to make? Have you browsed thru Quiltville? It's very inspiring. Here's the link:

http://quiltville.com/
    This was a really good site. Took me a long time to get out of it. So interesting. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks yall, amma posted the ideas like what I'm needing, although ANY quilting site is a plus, lol. I don't have anything planned for them, just don't like the idea of having a bag of scraps in the closet. If they are in some sort of organized clutter, they would actually get used. I'm one that stands back to stare at what I have for inspiration. Or see something I like that others made, and "steal" ideas from it. :)
    Just visited the quiltville.com site, per katier825 above, and found an amazing amount of scrappy FREE quilt patterns. I just printed off several and you are sure to find something there probably. Have fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie R
    Thanks yall, amma posted the ideas like what I'm needing, although ANY quilting site is a plus, lol. I don't have anything planned for them, just don't like the idea of having a bag of scraps in the closet. If they are in some sort of organized clutter, they would actually get used. I'm one that stands back to stare at what I have for inspiration. Or see something I like that others made, and "steal" ideas from it. :)
    Just visited the quiltville.com site, per katier825 above, and found an amazing amount of scrappy FREE quilt patterns. I just printed off several and you are sure to find something there probably. Have fun.

Yes, that is an awesome site! I've had it bookmarked for a long time. I've just restarted sewing and quilting in the last year. I had forgotten how much I truly enjoy this, and sooo many new ideas and ways to do the patterns.

I love scraps! I spend time watching tv with my little table and small cutting board cutting them all up. I try to cut the largest square up to 5" then whatever I can from the rest down to 1.5 " I sort in tubs by size and go from there. If it is a larger piece and I can go wof, I cut 2.5 inch strips.

If it was me, and i wish it was :) I'd keep them, trim if needed (like if circles had been cut from them etc) to the largest they can be and keep them that way until you think you need them smaller. I'd hate to cut them down, then find out they would fit a pattern better as bigger pieces. They're yours. Don't rush - they'll tell you eventually how they need to be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bamamama
    Here's Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User's System. http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
    Very good site. Thank you.:)

Blog Entries
    Whew! Three days of ironing the wads and cutting the scraps into strips.....and I still have a 30 gallon tub of larger pieces to sort thru and add to my stash.....eventually I should have a decent stash to stare at, lol!

Whew! Three days of ironing the wads and cutting the scraps into strips.....and I still have a 30 gallon tub of larger pieces to sort thru and add to my stash.....eventually I should have a decent stash to stare at, lol!
    You are a brave woman, just think how pretty it will all look when you stand back,put the iron away and then start digging through it all to find that one special piece...

Blog Entries
    Ooooooo, I can hardly wait. I'll be worst than my son in a toy store!, rofl!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast