Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps >

Scraps

Scraps

Old 03-06-2018, 06:57 PM

No scraps? You must be a precision quilter to be able to buy exactly what you need and use every bit of it. More power to ya! I always buy a tad extra yardage in case of boo boo's or a random yard to audition when assembled....which equals...scraps.... I have scraps but I'm pretty quick to use them up for charity quilts or donate scraps to other quilter's when the piles get ridiculous. My scraps are contained in only 2 small containers. But no scraps? No way for me...

many guilds have have an annual show and the members bring their scraps and pile them on tables. Fill a bag for a buck! I get a lot of patriotic fabric this way since I make so many quilts for vets.

Last edited by Teen; 03-06-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 AM

Again thank you everyone! I will post a pic when I get home of the tiny bits I have left after cutting up 30 fqs... You know what they say about Yorkshire people being frugal

Rjlinkletter- that's a fab idea I would love to see more things like that over here. I tend to buy things off eBay only if they have free postage but I know that cost gets passed on to the fabric itself...
Old 03-07-2018, 03:21 AM

I went to a Quilt Show and a guild had a large Tub of scraps for sell. A gallon zip lock bag could be filled for $1.
A thrift store is a good place to find fabric at great prices or recycling clothing works for quilts also.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:56 AM

I have a quilter friend who does collage projects, so I give her all my smaller scraps and I cut larger scraps into useable pieces, but really large pieces I leave as is for future projects.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Serianas View Post
Hi everyone!

I have a question about getting enough scraps to use in projects... I am a very thrifty quilter and most of what I get I use up. However i have found several scrappies I want to make... do you guys ever buy scraps? If so, where from?

I feel like such a cheat for buying them but the designs are so darling!
When I have a morning I can do garage sales I always go to Craigslist and search quilting fabric, cotton fabric, etc. I have found some very nice bags of scraps and also some yardage bagged together in coordinating colors, so I’m sure the quilter was just tired of looking at it. I bought half a backseat full of quilting cottons last summer for $12!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:43 AM

I have one bin that I keep my scraps in. As soon as it's full, I go through it and see if there is something I want to keep. If yes, I put it aside, if not - it's gone. I donate a couple of ways - to friends that like to quilt but don't have a lot of money - they get first choice, and then to charity quilting groups. They get the rest of my scraps. While I have tons of storage space, I don't like having too much "stuff". That's just the way I am. I also don't buy a ton of fabric all the time "just because I like it". I chose 10-12 projects that I really like, buy the fabric that I need to make that project, and then work on those. I do buy "extra" yardage, but then I end up making other projects that I hadn't "planned" on with those fabrics. Anything after that is a donation.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:33 AM

I have had success with purchasing grab bags from online shops. Some have co-ordinates from cutting out their kits.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Serianas View Post
P.s. I should have probably mentioned in in England! International postage is probably prohibitive....
See www.equilter.com they have regular sales. Shipping international small order is 11.95 stay under 22 euro to avoid customs. They sell also booty packs by theme. With the sale I usually get the 0.5 yard pieces to have variety.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Serianas, several times I have not cut enough blocks, made the hangers, etc on a project but donated scraps already--ugh ! Then I have to rethink or totally scrappy the project---I am doing better at finishing these days !
Old 03-08-2018, 12:49 AM

Serianas keep an eye out in Aldi and Lidl for FQ packs they are very reasonable and the quality is ok. There is not much variety but you could build up a FQ stash for cutting into scrap quilts. I also shop charity shops especially when they have £1 days. XL men's cotton shirts. I always starch them before I cut but you'll get a good variety of fabrics that way.