Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps - what to do with them? >

Scraps - what to do with them?

Scraps - what to do with them?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Offer them here , so many are making postage stamp quilts! Stuff some flat rate boxes as full as you can get them , and list on the free offer section. You can have the receiver pay the postage. Just my opinion but 5 inches is way to big to toss. There is something about making scrap quilts that has an appeal all its own. If you look at some of the beauties posted in the "scrappy quilt" show you will see its quite popular. And may inspire you to make use of them.
Do take a photo to include in your posting that way , there is some indication of whats in the box.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mucky View Post
I paid $10.00 to send a bag of scraps to a lady on the quilt board and didd't even get a PM to say she received them let alone a thank you so will try to find someone from my quilt guild that wants them.
I'm sorry that happened . I've received several boxes of crumbs/scraps from women on this board and I paid the postage, up front. I hope I thanked everyone and didn't forget . I really love the scraps that I recieved and they are like a bottomless well....no matter how many of them I use there always seems to be more than I started with.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 PM

I just read in a quilt shops Newsletter that shipping is going up on the 22nd. If you need to ship anything better hurry!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 AM

I cut up my scraps when the project is finished. I start with 5" squares, 4 1/2" squares and then 2 1/2" strips. These sizes work for me. You can make some great quilts with the 5 or 4 1/2 squares and of course the 2 1/2 strips are for long cabins and can be easily cut down to thinner ones if you want. I keep the scraps in labelled plastic shoe boxes on shelving. Works great for me! Takes up much less room than the rubbermaid totes, and they are neat and pressed.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

you can offer them here to quilters who would appreciate the (gift) of your throw-aways- or you can donate them locally- school art departments are always in need of supplies- scout troops, 4-H groups, the senior center, local quilt guild, even some convelescent homes have residents with no money who love to sew and would love them. just don't throw them away---there are so many people who have need-and would put them to great use.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:08 AM

Where I live, scraps are sold from bins at the local quilt shops! My guild sells scraps in bags at our quilt show. I'm a teacher and used them to teach an after school group to sew and made some very cute snake stuffed animal/ draft stoppers.

Someone will give them a good home.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 AM

I need to start using some of mine. Thought about tossing them but just can't do it.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 AM

Hi, saw your post about scraps, how much do you want for them. I am new to quilting.I figure if I use scrap to begin with, I am not wasting to much money if I make a mistake, lol
Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 AM

How about a Crumb Quilt? It's a great way to use scraps.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 AM

Scraps are really hard for me to let go of. I have three tubs full and just can't make myself get rid of them. I want to offer them to someone for postage but can't even make myself do that. :-( I do use them for scrapy blocks but have already made several scrapy block wall hangins and lap robes for charity. Just can't use them fast enough.