Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps - what to do with them? >

Scraps - what to do with them?

Scraps - what to do with them?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 AM

I give my scraps and fabric I am tired to looking at to the Senior Citizens. One of the women came to our guild meeting showing many potholders that they had made with the fabric. It made me feel better about getting them out of my stash.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Swap Hosts

This weekend I am working on a bucket of strips. Who knows what it will end up as?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by heyjami View Post
Ok, I think I'm now going to have to prioritize stash over scraps. I now how 2-3 tubs of paper piecing scraps that I couldn't part with. Time to part with them!

What do you do with your small scraps? Anything under 5" really should go.

I wish I could set them out near the end of the driveway and the magic scrap fairy will come and pick them up (promising to make all sorts of beautiful things out of them).
I haven't read through the entire thread as yet, but for me this is what I do.
I have one of those foldable net hampers dollar store thing....Anyway it sits next to my cutting table and as I cut the scrap pieces are thrown in there. When it is full I fill USPS priority boxes .... stuff em' full and offer them to others here on the board to anyone willing to pay the shipping.

I had totes and totes of scraps at one time and found I never seemed to use them and I decided to pass them on to someone who would. When I do make a scrappy quilt I have found a I personally always was searching for a piece that went 'better' with the scrap I was using. Voila! I said to myself, "You are a controlled scrappy person"! So having bins and bins sitting in stacks came to end and the plus was that there are people out there that really can appreciate and more importantly use those scraps.

Oh, just in case you don't realize this....those scraps multiply at night when no one is looking....that's a fact!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 AM

If someone wants to get rid of their scraps, I'd love to have them, will gladly pay postage. I'm on a VERY tight budget and could really use the selection I'd get from scraps. Just PM me.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 AM

I put mine in a "scrap box" and hope to make a scrappy quilt or something else with them.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by dharen7 View Post
I keep all my scraps, when a new quilt store opened up here, she had them for 2.00 a pound. I spent 4 wks going thru bins and buying her scraps.

I would be in HEAVEN !!!! If we had one close like that- its would be empty by the time I left !! lol.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 AM

I save all my small scraps to male yo yo quilts.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 AM

At our guild meeting the other night, one gfal showed us how to make ornaments with a 3 in styrofaom ball, and 3 inch squares. you make prarier points (not sewn) and pin into the ball. no sewing whatso ever. very beautiful.
Made me rethink the size of scraps I save. now I will keep some 3 in squares to try this.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I use to throw my little scraps away, but then someone suggested saving them to fill a doggy mattress. So Now I'm filling an old pillowcase.

Good idea - I think this would work fine for my cat too!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by resource fabricologist View Post
Our quilting group saves all our scraps. They're made into dog beds and donated to the humane society. Also check out Lumberyard quilts. You cut 21/2X 21/2, 21/2X 41/2, 41/2X 41/2,and 21/2X81/2 inch scraps and throw them in a box. Someday when the box gets full enough, they will all sew together into a nice scrapy quilt.
I am really new to the quilt world. What are Lumberyard quilts? Would love more info because I love scrappy quilts.