Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seam ripper help!! >

Seam ripper help!!

Seam ripper help!!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM

I forget the brand, thinking maybe Dritz? It is in the notions section of JoAnne's, has a thick handle, pink/lt lavender, ergonomic - it's easy to hold, sharp and the colored handle means I don't lose it as often as I do the little white one that came with my machine They are both my go-to rippers (Jack and Jackie?) right now.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Just got a new seam ripper: the Seam-fix. The actually seam ripping end is much smaller in blade thickness. The cap has a silicone top to just lightly rub away the threads you have ripped.

I like my Clover but it doesn't have a cap, so I enclosed the top with part of a straw. Hey, it works.

I also have some folding seam rippers from Germany. They fit nicely in my pocket when at a retreat or sewing with others. Haven't lost one yet. I forget who sells them here.

I bought a very fine bladed round file that I have been using to keep my Clover seam ripper sharp. After so many years it did finally need some attention. It worked.

ali
Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 PM

I use the white handled Clover, but more often I use my rotary cutter for long straight seams. It is great, bast and a bit of masking tape clears up the strings.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Least expensive solution go to any place that sells vet supples or farm supplies. Buy a handle and surgical blades. Replacement blades are only $2 something for pkg of 6. Travel toothbrush holder works well to store them. You can choose from several blade styles including hooked. I'm about ready to buy a bunch and resell them. The price quilt stores are getting is ridiculous. You do want to use pliers when changing blades. A slip of the finger could result in a nasty gash.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 AM

I should have added, I am klutsy around anything sharp, so I think the scapels are out of the questions for me. I looked at nancy notions and they look lethal. I would love to have one, but can see the blood and stitches already. I once got 8 stitches when I was cutting butter (dh sharpened all the knives for thanksgiving day) - spent the holiday meal in the ER with a bunch of other people who just about did the same thing.

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
My seam rippers (all of them) are dull, they all have been with me for a long long time. I am ready to buy a good one (I will have to buy more than one) I read that the Fons and Porter one is great, is there any other seam ripper that you can recommend? Thanks!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 AM

I have several different ones. Some with larger handles and others not so large. My favorite seam rippers come from Walmart and are not very long so I have better control than with the larger ones. I Think they cost 1.39
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 AM

I'm a fan of the Clover one. I use an old cotton reel (paper) as a cap.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM

I have a tendency to lose my rippers, so I buy as cheap as I can. Just bought another for $1 and it works fine. While I try very hard not make make the oops that require ripping, it does happen. I just don't want to think that I spent $10 on a ripper to fix my mistakes!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 AM

I use the surgical seam ripper by Havel's. I love, love, love it.

http://www.havelssewing.com/seam-rip...pro-18950.html