Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams that come apart! >

Seams that come apart!

Seams that come apart!

Old 01-04-2024, 10:14 AM

Default Seams that come apart!

I have been working on a quilt for a family member. The directions are to do strip piecing and then to cut the strips into pieces of various lengths. This makes for a savings of time in assembly of the quilt. I find that the stitching seems to come out on the edges of the pieces that I have cut. Am I doing something wrong when sewing or cutting or is just a normal problem that ones faces when doing line piecing and cutting? I have tried to use different stitch lengths in hopes of solving my problem but it does not seem to help. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can eliminate this problem.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:32 AM

Once you sew across those cut ends the threads will be anchored into the seam and will not come apart. Just be careful how you handle the seams until then. It's common for a stitch or two to loosen up at the end.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:49 AM

Is your tension correct, or does it need adjusting? Sometimes when the tension is off, it can cause loose stitches.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:55 AM

I find that starching the fabric reduces fraying.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:57 AM

I use a pretty fine needle, usually I piece with a 10. For most of my quilting career I was happy with my vintage machine and Dual Duty thread. In the last couple of years I've been using finer threads, usually now I'm using Sew Fine both top and bottom. Also, tiny stitch length -- I'd say no less than 12 per inch. My Bernina turns on at 2.5 -- I'm not sure but think that is about 10 per inch and would be fine for garment construction but not so much when cutting stitches in modern strip piecing techniques. I'm usually piecing about 1.85-1.9, not sure what that translates to 12-16??

Also, as b.zang says, handle your strips gently. If I have a top that has a lot of seams (or before a plain outer border), I will often stay stitch the pieced section within the 1/4" seam allowance, maybe using a slightly large stitch than my piecing, so say a 2.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:07 PM

Reduce your stitch length to 2 or 1.5, the smaller stitch will hold seam together better after yo make your cut.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:26 PM

This is a problem I to have encountered. I generally stitch with a 2.5 stich. Will have to try a 2 inch. I know not cutting your thread too short helps, but then that makes for lots of thread cutting when done. I have taken to doing a quick back stitch on them now to help prevent it from happening. Curious to hear what others say.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:49 PM

stitch length should hold. but you might try a bit of washable glue on the cut ends to hold it until you sew the cut pieces into a block or what ever. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:26 PM

I would reduce my stitch length even more. I use a very short stitch length when I am making HST's that need to be trimmed. And I no longer go over the back of my top, trimming threads. Hopefully, I have not used dark thread on a light top so my thread tails won't show through any light fabric.

Something else that I do after completing a top, is to sew around the edge--about 1/8 inch in. It helps hold any seams that might unravel and also helps keep any borders from fraying excessivly. . My LA'rs have thanked me for doing this and it only takes a couple of minutes. As a new LA'r (I have a couple of friends who encourage me help quilt donation quilts on their machines {playing with a purpose}) I find that line of stitching is also a good guide when basting the edge after loading.

Last edited by GingerK; 01-04-2024 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:17 PM

I have that problem too and I shortened the stitch length and it seems to stop that. It sure makes it hard when I make a mistake and have to pick it out.