Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams to match up in a diamond quilt >

Seams to match up in a diamond quilt

Seams to match up in a diamond quilt

Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Seams to match up in a diamond quilt

I've been wanting to make a diamond quilt but am hesitant because I don't think I can get the seams to match up correctly. Is there a trick to it? Something foolproof?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM

I am just finishing up one, and I did not see any problem as they are on bias and easy to fudge. The only problem was adding borders as they are on straight grain, so you have to be careful you don't stretch trying to make it fit. Hard to fudge there. I found a couple spots that now need to be eased in the quilting. I did measure in 3 places, etc. but did it late at night.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM

But how did you line up the seams on the diamonds? They aren't like straight seams, are they? I mean, they don't nestle together, do they?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM

I made a lone star in a class once and I struggled to get the seams right. Glad I tried it, but i'll avoid diamonds in the future. There are too many patterns w/o diamonds that i want to do.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM

I find the diamnonds not very hard but I do pin a lot. Makes sewing them together easier.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM

I don't find diamonds particularly difficult either. But like mic-pa, I pin ALOT. Maybe it's the visual that's throwing you off because when you put things right sides together the ends hang over? Seams should still nestle but I usually press open (on all my quilting, not just diamonds) so that it's easy to see where the seams meet. Lay your fabs right side together, put a pin straight down into the top seam, go through to the bottom fab and put your pin straight into that seam. Holding the pin straight up/down (perpendicular to your fabric) then put pins parallel to the fabric as close to your up/down pin as possible. Repeat for each seam. The ears on the ends should still hang over 1/4 on each end.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM

When you do a diamond quilt, you assemble the blocks on the diagonal (this is called a diagonal set) -- you do not need to fuss with seting in seams. They really go together pretty slick -- and yes the diamonds do nestle in together. If you are unsure, cut 9 diamonds out of paper (they don't have to be big) and put them together in 3 rows nestling the diamonds together. You cut triangles (or trim the diamonds on the edge flat if you want to avoid math) to make the edges straight. Just pick up your rows. I have some diamonds left over from a project in the sewing room -- if I can find them I will take pictures.

I usually starch them a lot because they are on the bias -- that way I keep the stretching to a minimum.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Thank you for your advice. I want to do a quilt that has diamonds in it, but have had someone tell me horror stories about diamonds and am leary. But I see other people's diamond quilts and they are beautiful so they mustn't be too awfully hard. So, I think I'll give it a go. I'll try the method NJ Quilter suggested. It seems to make sense.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Thank you for your advice. I want to do a quilt that has diamonds in it, but have had someone tell me horror stories about diamonds and am leary. But I see other people's diamond quilts and they are beautiful so they mustn't be too awfully hard. So, I think I'll give it a go. I'll try the method NJ Quilter suggested. It seems to make sense.
Sometimes you just have to take a risk and try.
Sometimes you try it and create your own way to make it work out.
And why do you always expect perfection on your first try?

This makes me think of two old sayings ...

If at first you don't succeed, try try again!

Practice Makes Perfect!

and of course, the 4-H Motto,

Learn To Do By Doing!

All good ones that might help you!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM

I am afraid to try diamonds, but will have to soon..My DD is getting married in Texas and wants a Lone Star Quilt, surrounded by tea stain muslin....Guess I better get over my diamond hang up!!