Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams: press open or to the dark side? >

Seams: press open or to the dark side?

Seams: press open or to the dark side?

Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 AM

I really hate for the dark side of the seam to shadow through and wouldn't know how to eliminate it if all the seams are opened. My quilt tops are never "flat as a pancake". Maybe the open seams are the key.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 AM

I think we have always pressed to the side because of the strength of the thread, but I am starting to see the benefit of pressing open. I mean we have some of the strongest thread made when we quilt. I have never really gotten the knack of matching my seams with the locking system down. (usually I have pressed one of the sides the wrong way). I used to sew clothing and had to break the open seam habit when I started quilting because of the "quilting police" (this was back 30 years ago). I thank you for this topic because reading everyone's post gave me a new thought about pressing open.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Pressing to the side is not usually necessary with the strong stitches that our machines make. I press open a lot, due to not liking seeing a seam through my blocks :D:D:D

Many quilters quote this, "look at the strain the seams in our pants get,they are pressed open and they don't pull apart" :wink:
Amma, I just have to say this - I have one pair of pants that I have re-sewn the seam at least 25 times. It just won't keep together. I have tried different thread types & everything else that I can think of. I really like these pants, so I just keep re-stitching. It's not that they are too small, actually they fit with a bit of extra room - doubleknit poly, elastic waist. I usually sew at least 2 rows of stitching & this last time put in 3. I'm beginning to think that either these pants are possessed or they are cut just slightly off & therefore the tension of movement in them causes undue wear. I think next time I'm pulling out the stapler!!! :-)

Alex Anderson said several times on her show, Simply Quilts, that we should press to the construction of the block. I, personally, have experienced a block/seam that is going to lay the way it wants to & not the way I want it to! In my aged wisdom, I let the block win everytime!

Lori, your quilt really is beautiful!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 AM

I'm an open-seam presser. Again, I also come to quilting from a garment/home dec beginning. When I started quilting - and I am all self-taught - I pressed to the side as was instructed on many shows. I really don't like the bulk. I hand quilt so that really makes a difference as well. And particulary when you (I) have many seams coming together it makes for a much flatter block/quilt.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 AM

QuiltswithConvicts, Try a tiny zigzag or a stretch stitch on your poly slacks. The stretch in them is what making your seam pop open. You need a stretch stitch to stretch with the fabric. JMO. :)
Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
QuiltswithConvicts, Try a tiny zigzag or a stretch stitch on your poly slacks. The stretch in them is what making your seam pop open. You need a stretch stitch to stretch with the fabric. JMO. :)
Dakota maid beat me to it. A double knit requires different stitching. If you use a straight stitch, the fabric will stretch, but not the stitches, so they break. A narrow zig zag will allow the seam to have a bit of 'give'.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:29 AM

Initially, pressing to the dark was thought to prevent thread breakage (thus opening seams in the quilt). Machine stitches are tighter and more secure. Pressing seams open reduce bulk at joining points (stars/4patch, etc)
At least that's what I've heard - I could be all wrong, it's happened a couple of times befoe LOL
Old 06-27-2011, 04:47 AM

:) thank for the answer and youre quilt is beatiful could you please tell me the size of youre blocks
Old 06-27-2011, 04:47 AM

:) thank for the answer and youre quilt is beatiful could you please tell me the size of youre blocks
Old 06-27-2011, 05:00 AM

Almost always open. I find matching seams much easier with open seams. When I press to the side I too often get all seams going to one side and get into a mess. With seams open you don't have to think so much and less ripping out.