Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams: Press Open or to the Side? >

Seams: Press Open or to the Side?

Seams: Press Open or to the Side?

Old 09-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Default Seams: Press Open or to the Side?

I am seeing instructions both to press seams open and also to press to the side. I'm most familiar with pressing them open, but perhaps there are advantages to pressing to the side that I don't know about. I'm pretty certain consensus will be divided, but please, tell me which way you do it and why.

Thanks,
Carla
Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 PM

I press to the side so the seams nest better. If I stitch in the ditch I also prefer the seams to one side -- just don't like sewing through the thread if they are pressed open. You will get opinions from those preferring to press the seams open. Bottom line is you need to do what works best for you!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:11 PM

Usually to the side, particularly if I need nesting seams, or if I want the seam to be towards the dark fabric. Occasionally I will press seams open if I want a nice flat seam. I just made a pieced background for an applique block and I pressed the seams open - I was going to iron on some fusible fleece and wanted the background piece to be extra flat.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Since I am self taught, I have always put them to one side or the other. I feel it is a stronger seam that way, but my sister sometimes puts them open, as they lie (lay) flatter. Whatever works best for you.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:52 PM

I perfer open pressed seams; I feel the finish is better. To me open seams are just as strong; aren't all your clothes open seams. And our clothes get a lot more stress on seams that quilts do. Here is a video I love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_5X...dizgDn&index=4
Old 09-20-2014, 06:11 PM

I press open . I like the flatter finish to the block. ...And it always seems when I have tried the press to the dark side I end up with a multiple seams coming together making a big "pile" at the junction. I know some say its stronger......but I have been pressing open for decades and have not had weak seams with open pressed seam allowances.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

I usually press to the side. I had a bad experience with pressed open seams on black fabric. When I quilted the quilt, the seams pulled open enough to see the thread. I will press open on some blocks that are recut and reassembled for the accurate unit sizes. It is a personal preference and do what works best for you.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:30 PM
bj

I usually press to the side, but I made a carpenters star and pressed those open. I loved not having to try to figure out which side to press to. Just got busy stitching it together. The star's center laid a lit flatter too. I usually do the snip and swirl on the star's center to reduce bulk, but open seams was much easier. Try both ways and see which you like best. I don't think there's a right way, just a personal preference way. I confess I still probably prefer pressing to one side, though. Happy stitching!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
I perfer open pressed seams; I feel the finish is better. To me open seams are just as strong; aren't all your clothes open seams. And our clothes get a lot more stress on seams that quilts do. Here is a video I love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_5X...dizgDn&index=4
Actually, a lot of our clothes have flat felled seams or a seam where both edges are sewn together.

It is true that suits and some dressy garments do have pressed open seams - usually with some sort of seam finish. These seams are usually considerably wider than 1/4 inch.

But the bottom line is - what works for you. It is a lot easier for me to press 1/4 inch seams to one side than to less them open.

But, on rare occasions, I will press them open when that seems to be the better way to deal with the process at that point.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:15 PM

I was taught to press to the side. Seemed strange at first because garment sewing is what I had done before with seams pressed open. However I think you get a stronger seam pressing to the side and it does help to nest them in patterns that you need to align seams/blocks. I only press open if the pieces in the block are very small and close together as it makes multiple layers a litte flatter.