Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams pressed open >

Seams pressed open

Seams pressed open

Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
so...was there a question involved?
there are no hard-set rules when it comes to quilting- there are no quilt police- you can do it any way you want-in any manner that works for you-
sometimes it is recommended to press seams to one side so you can easily nest adjacent pieces & get good points/joins- but people manage to do it with their seams pressed open too- it is your project- your hobby- do it the way you like and enjoy the process---don't concern yourself with how (barb down the street) does it

I agree with this......good answer!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
In so far as seam pressing, I agree with everyone; do whichever works best in the project at hand. What no one has mentioned and has me interested is your statement about not sewing from edge to edge but only sewing seam allowance to seam allowance. I have not heard about that, except in cases where one is making Y seams or mitering corners. In all other cases, I have always sewn edge to edge. Since I am a family-self-board taught quilter, is this something I have missed learning about as I went along? Can anyone enlighten me about this type of piecing in cases other than I have mentioned?
I was told in HAND PIECING to sew from seam allowance to seam allowance but in machine stitching to sew from edge to edge so that's what I did.