Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Searching 4 a certain log Cabin Pattern >

Searching 4 a certain log Cabin Pattern

Searching 4 a certain log Cabin Pattern

Old 11-17-2017, 08:21 AM

Question Searching 4 a certain log Cabin Pattern

Well this pattern I am looking for goes back to the early 80's to a small shop, whose name I can't remember, in Pensacola Florida. It was a Log Cabin Pattern done in a traditional way Except that it was...
  • double sided, reversible
  • done in sort of "stitch n Flip" fashion,
  • had no batting inside
  • intended to be a tablecloth.
  • The cool part was that it could be made for Christmas on one side and say...Thanksgiving on the other.

As a novis quilter, I successfully made one; so it can't be difficult. But over the years of military and job moves the tablecloth and the pattern has dissappeared.

Please help me! So that I don't have to go into the studio and recreate the wheel.
Cheers Ya-All!
From Miami Florida

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-17-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Just thinking out loud here. What if you started with two center squares, wrong sides together, one Thanksgiving colors, the other Christmas colors. Take the next size log, again two of them, place one right side together on top of the center square, the other right side together on bottom of the center square, matching Thanksgiving color with Christmas color. Repeat for all the logs around the log cabin block. You would wind up with a log cabin block that was all Christmas on one side, Thanksgiving on the other. If you make a bunch of them you could theoretically join them in a quilt-as-you-go manner, with sashing strips. Was that how it was done?
Old 11-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I'm pretty sure there is a book about this technique, written (if I am remembering correctly) by a Japanese quilter. However, I haven't been able to find it.

Do you remember if there was sashing? If so, then the tutorial below might be helpful to you. Just leave out the batting and substitute 4 layers for 5 layers in her instructions. It seems to me the only way to put this particular quilt together is with sashing.
https://cathicrafts.wordpress.com/20...uilt-tutorial/

Edit: I did find this book about making reversible quilts, but don't know if it includes a log cabin. (The second link shows the front and back of one of the quilts in the book.)
https://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Qu...dp/1564774104/
https://www.softexpressions.com/soft...ks/RevQlts.php

Last edited by Prism99; 11-17-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:39 PM

You are sooo right, her name is Emiko Toda Loeb and i too am having a time finding her books. The technique i remember had no sashing. I took the problem to my art quilt group this afternoon and was meet with amazed faces, but no answers. I get how the blocks are created... its the connecting them that confounds me. I will work on it more tomorrow and if i have a revelation I will surely share it.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I found this by Emiko Toda Loeb, which is similar to the tutorial above but has no sashing. As far as I can tell, the strip that joins two blocks will require that 1 of the 4 sides by hand sewn to finish.
http://www.emikotloeb.com/about/about.htm

That website has a list of her publications. I am wondering if the directions you are thinking of might be in one of the magazine articles in that list. I still haven't found the book I was thinking of, so I'm not sure she is the quilter I am remember. Could be my memory is misleading me, though......
Old 11-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Sounds to complicated for me to try. Good luck.

Welcome to the board.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

What i'm thinking is not difficult, but hard to explain. Going with your example, you have blocks with Christmas fabric on one side & thanksgiving fabric on the other.
Take 2 blocks and place them right (Christmas) sides together. fold back the backing (Thanksgving) fabric on both blocks and sew just the Christmas fabric. finger press the seam open. Now the 2 blocks are side by side & just the Christmas fabric joined. Press a 1/4" seam on one of the Thanksgiving blocks and lay this over the raw edge of the other block. Whip stitch or machine top stitch. Phew!
Old 11-18-2017, 03:45 AM

Could you do it, like I did my snowman quilt. On the front is all of his features, the face, buttons the front of his vest. On the back is his back with no features.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:27 AM

I noticed on the "Soft expressions" sight, they list the quilts in the book; the 2nd book listed a 'log cabin'.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dharen7 View Post
Could you do it, like I did my snowman quilt. On the front is all of his features, the face, buttons the front of his vest. On the back is his back with no features.

I made a Santa quilt like that. It's big and bright. I hang it in my entry every Christmas. It's stunning. Really the back side is not noticed when in use or hanging.