Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Searching for flying geese technique from strips

Blog Entries
    I did a search, but can't find the technique on this site.

Do you know of a technique of cutting triangles, sewing them together in a long strip and cutting apart separate completed flying geese? This was probably in conjunction with a special ruler.

There didn't seem to be waste of fabric. Thanks:-)

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Kay Wood uses one of her rulers for this technique. I know there are several other rulers on the market, including Quilt in A Day but I haven't used them.
    One what that is kind of cool is Ricky Tim's method of one seam flying geese. It makes a kind of three dimensional flying geese. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y
    If I have a lot to make, sometimes I will be lazy and use the wondercut ruler to make hst and sew two together to make the flying geese.

If you follow the link below and download the starting instructions and the PDF for block one of the jelly roll quilt along you will find the instructions for the flying geese using strips.
    Yes, you need the rulers but I think they are worth it if you use a lot of jelly rolls. JMHO. :D

http://quiltroom.typepad.com/the_qui...tructions.html

One more thing...I would suggest starching your fabric before cutting as you will be working with bias.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I'm working on a Star Sampler for my DH's neice's wedding and used that Flying geese method for the first time. AWESOME, my corners were bang on and it didn't look all warped or stretched. Great Method.

What a great question and answer! I'm gonna take a peek at this when I'm off work. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Are you looking for the Wonder Cut ruler? It works great.
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Eleanor Burns also has a ruler that some ppl swear by.Just type her name in Google search.Here's a video
    http://www.quiltinaday.com/televisio...geeseruler.asp

Joanns has the EB rulers & others. Use a coupon & they're not $$.

Good luck findingwhat you need.:-) Sorry this is messed up....don't know why!

Do you know of a technique of cutting triangles, sewing them together in a long strip and cutting apart separate completed flying geese? This was probably in conjunction with a special ruler.

There didn't seem to be waste of fabric. Thanks:-)[/quote]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kay carlson

Thanks for this asking this Kay!
    And thanks everyone for the replies!!

I have always wanted to make a these geese but didn't want the hassle OR the waste so I didn't even look at patterns anymore that had flying geese ....

doesn't look like I have an excuse anymore!

Blog Entries
    Here's a tute that might help.

http://thelastpiece.typepad.com/the_...utorial-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T
    Quote Originally Posted by kay carlson

Thanks for this asking this Kay!
    And thanks everyone for the replies!!

I have always wanted to make a these geese but didn't want the hassle OR the waste so I didn't even look at patterns anymore that had flying geese ....

doesn't look like I have an excuse anymore!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies:-)

To the best of my memory, the tutorial had the "goose" triangles cut and sewn together. You would cut every other "goose" triangle in half --- ending up with sky, goose, sky.

I'll have to fool around with a ruler:-) Probably saw this on someone's blog and didn't bookmark it.

Thanks for your help, Quilting Board members!!!!

Blog Entries
    That is the way Kaye Wood does it, but it is a ruler you have to purchase. I can't spend that kind of money, I was just watching videos the other night when I couldn't sleep and saw her technique. I am sure there is a way to do it without her ruler, but I don't know what the angles are. Anybody know?????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    That is the way Kaye Wood does it, but it is a ruler you have to purchase. I can't spend that kind of money, I was just watching videos the other night when I couldn't sleep and saw her technique. I am sure there is a way to do it without her ruler, but I don't know what the angles are. Anybody know?????
    Sadiemae, Kaye Wood's technique is the one I have been searching for during this brainstorm :-)

You start out with two strips of fabric the same width (i.e. jellyroll) One color becomes the goose and the contrasting color becomes the sky portions.

The goose is cut using a triangle which is 45', 90', 45'. The top of the goose is actually a right triangle -- hence 90 degrees. You allow for the 1/4 inch seam allowance at the top of the triangle. You need that seam allowance of 1/4 inch so you don't cut off the tip of the goose when joining completed units.

The sky portion is also a triangle like the goose, but the key here is that you deduct a given amount to create a "topless" triangle. I will have to play around with that tomorrow when I can get into my sewing area. Presently, my two dogs are getting tender loving care as I sit here typing.

Once we figure out the key measurement of the topless triangle, we should be able to use our regular 45', 90',45' triangle rulers or make a template.

Until tomorrow, thanks for helping me out! Kaye Wood's video is very clear. I'm up for the challenge of discovering the measurements!!