Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking advice on fabric choices/patterns >

Seeking advice on fabric choices/patterns

Seeking advice on fabric choices/patterns

Old 04-01-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
Here is one pattern that I believe would work well with your large scale geometric (directional) prints:http://www.redroosterquilts.com/shop...quilt-pattern/
Great choice! Will really show the patterns.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:30 AM

I'm not sure you will get the effect you are trying for if you set these directional fabrics on point. Your fabrics are going to point back to straight, unless you cut them on the bias. I'd cut large square holes in plain paper, and set them "on point" (Audition them)

I didn't even see the dot print, I thought it was counter. If you squint, you can't really see the dots. Do the distance test with the dots, step back 10 feet, then 25 feet, or use a digital or cell camera. The dot may come off as a blender. Only use it if the color is exactly what you need tho.

...just my input, since you asked. I think I sometimes come off bossy, without thinking it in my head...
Old 04-02-2015, 04:32 AM

Take 5...you can use the print she likes best for all of the large squares....or use all of the fabrics... agreed...the smalldots should be replaced....if you can find something else you like...it could be used for the inner border....
Old 04-02-2015, 06:55 AM

I made a quilt with these colors = or - and a 'chevron' was requested.. never did a chevron before, but it came out great! I did have some fabrics with prints also. As I shopped around in stores, I saw 'chevron' everywhere!! Curtains, dinnerware, everywhere! Also I thought the color combo was '???' but it looked great ! If you'd like to see it, search 'quick baby quilt & scrap changing pad. The pic should come up! Let us see what you came up with!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 AM

Having looked at the pattern it would make up beautiful with the fabrics she likes. Maybe add one more large print but your directional fabrics would look really neat. You might take the time to look at some of the free patterns the fabric manufactures have posted on there sites for more ideas.

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
Here is one pattern that I believe would work well with your large scale geometric (directional) prints:http://www.redroosterquilts.com/shop...quilt-pattern/
Old 04-02-2015, 03:46 PM

If you know the brand and name of the design you may be able to look it up online and see if designer made up a quilt with it. Also check out large print quilt patterns, modern patterns.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:16 AM

There is a really nice modern pattern called Movement In Squares that is free online. I forget where and am on my Kindle, so I don't have my "favorites" list, but it should come up if you Google it.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

Probably a bit 'out there' but could you replace the dot fabric with a large vibrant/floral/modern print. Probably not expressing myself very well, but some deeper orange/green/shades with a less rigid pattern would give it a bit of oomph. Definitely needs a contemporary pattern, and maybe a dark chocolate in a border/binding.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:14 AM

Happy New Year one and all! It's been awhile, but I've finished this project. I presented it to my daughter for Christmas and she likes it. I'm just glad to get it off my table!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564708[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]564709[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]564710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1827.jpg   img_1826.jpg   img_1828.jpg  
Old 01-01-2017, 08:13 AM

Wow I really like this pattern...great job...what is the name of the pattern?

Originally Posted by Kimarene View Post
Happy New Year one and all! It's been awhile, but I've finished this project. I presented it to my daughter for Christmas and she likes it. I'm just glad to get it off my table!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564708[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]564709[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]564710[/ATTACH]