Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seersucker >

Seersucker

Seersucker

Old 06-06-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ada Shiela
Hello galvestonangel - nice to know you weathered Huricane Ike - I suppose you shop at Quilts by the Bay!!
I did before Ike, but the shop is not going to reopen. A lot of people have not returned and their is still a many houses that have not been repaired. Of course most of the damage was from the storm surge, we had about 2 feet. But that is the price you pay for living on the coast..
Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 PM

If we ironed it, then soaked it in lemon juice, would it pucker up again? :lol:
Old 06-06-2010, 06:38 PM

How much seer would a seersucker suck if a seersucker could suck seer...Seerly there is a sucker with an answer... lol

I too have seen some really pretty summery seersucker and wondered of using in a quilt as well. With all the do's and don't's I am thinking I will not use it :)
Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 PM

I've only used seersucker for receiving 'blankets' for summer...ie. just hemmed around the edges, no backing, batting or piecing. Is just enough covering to protect baby from the A/C but not make them uncomfortably warm.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oatw13
My mom just made one. It is possible and it looks nice now that it's done, but I don't think she will ever do it again!

You cannot press your seams because you will flatten the seersucker, you cannot press your blocks because you will flatten it. Also, the "squares" appear to be the same from top to bottom and left to right but if you cut some of the fabric along the width and some along the length then sew them together, you will see that it is definitely directional!

I think the quilt looks darling but she was very frustrated in working with the seersucker.

Just be patient and try a block or two first before you dive in!
may we plse see a pic of finished quilt?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:11 AM

So funny - all you gals have such great senses of humor. I must say I have never tried to unsuck seersucker, I just don't use it for anything that must be ironed.

Who thought up that word, anyway? I'll have to do some research and find out.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:57 PM

I have used it for quilts, makes a really light quilt for rooms with a/c that get to cold and you need to cover up.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shiloh
I have some Tutti Frutti fabric that is just delightful and colorful. My mind says it would make a fun & colorful quilt. My brain says I'm asking for trouble trying to work with seersucker. Has anyone ever made a quilt out of seersucker (other than the old puff pattern of puffy squares stuffed and sewn on a base)?
Gerry
i have a pink & white seersucker i made my youngest dd a dress out of. it was one of those old fashioned ones with the eyelet pinnifore. i love that dress. it's in her "keep" box.

i had extra fabric, and have put it into many quilts and never had a problem. i am down to just about a fat quarter of it left, so i will have to put it aside until she has a baby (girl) then it will finish in that quilt.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 PM

I just finished one for my granddaughter. It turned out nicely. I will definitely use it again.

No pic to post here as I am at work. I have a "mostly finished" pic at home I will post this evening.

Patti
Old 06-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Alora's quilt. Sorry I don't have a finished pic. (What was I thinking!!!! I am promised a pic to be sent to me with her wrapped in it.) The stars fabric was one of the borders, as well as the binding.

Patti
Attached Thumbnails attachment-83094.jpe