Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self binding, double folded and mitered? >

Self binding, double folded and mitered?

Self binding, double folded and mitered?

Old 07-03-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by candi
Hello you all talented quilters,

So I am thinking about using the backing fabric to do the binding on the quilt I am working on. I searched and found some tutorials and explanation but I am confused about a couple of things. First, I want to say that I do want a double-folded binding and I do want to miter the corner (or attempt to anyway :mrgreen: ). Does anyone know of good cutting measurements for this? I've only done traditional double-folded binding with strips cut to 2.5 inches and sewed with a 1/4 seam. Also, do I need to leave extra batting extending beyond the quilt top? How much?

I am trying to follow these instructions here
http://how-to-quilt.com/cms/index.ph...=143&Itemid=39
but not sure how much backing to leave to double fold. Can anyone help me, please?
I have done this on at least one quilt but don't remember exactly how much I left for binding. For a 1/2" finished binding, I'd recommend leaving at least 1-1/2". If you are unsure, better to leave it a little too large, rather than too small. Can you do a small sample quilt that would give you some experience and an idea of how much you need to leave for your wrap-around binding? Also, don't cut your corners off too soon. If you fold and press a perfect 45-degree triangle at each corner, you should be able to miter them with no problem. Once you have a mitered corner that you are happy with, before you stitch it down is the time to trim off the corner points.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 AM

A few years ago at a quilt show I bought a "Quick Easy Mitred-Binding Tool." It will make a 3/4" finished binding. You cot the baking fabric 1 1/2" after all the quilting is done. Then you use this tool to miter the corners. You also end up with a double fold binding on the front. It can then be sewn easily by machine or by hand. It really is a nifty gadget. The binding and miters end up perfect.

They have a website but there are any kind of instructions online or it is really had to explain how it works. You might be able to email for some more informations.

The website is http://sewbizmarion.com
Old 07-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Google Goddess

that quilt shop is only 8 miles from me

Originally Posted by brighmet
A few years ago at a quilt show I bought a "Quick Easy Mitred-Binding Tool." It will make a 3/4" finished binding. You cot the baking fabric 1 1/2" after all the quilting is done. Then you use this tool to miter the corners. You also end up with a double fold binding on the front. It can then be sewn easily by machine or by hand. It really is a nifty gadget. The binding and miters end up perfect.

They have a website but there are any kind of instructions online or it is really had to explain how it works. You might be able to email for some more informations.

The website is http://sewbizmarion.com
Old 07-03-2010, 07:51 PM

Thanks all for the input. I do OK with traditional binding, and I am trying my hand here at the self binding, it is actually going better than I thought. I used the link in my original post to get the technique. I marked a seam line on my top that is a 1/4 inch, then trimmed the batting a 1/2 inch away from that line and then trimmed the backing to 2 inches. It was easy to double fold the backing and turning it to the front to cover the line I drew. I don't think it is too bulky at all. I am hand stitching it down to the front and mitering the corners as I get to them. I think I still like the look of the traditional binding better, but this is a quick alternative and it looks decent enough. I am working on a quilt for my husband and he said he can't tell the difference between the two methods. Oh well, less work for me :D
Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 AM

Typically this is what i do (binding size is adjustable):
I leave the back approx 4" (on each side) larger than the top.
I leave the batting 1" larger than the top.

Cut a square out of the batting at the corner before folding and pressing. This will keep it from getting too thick.

Layer the fabric with spray binding, quilt, leaving the border unquilted.

After quilting, I can begin my binding. I fold the backing to half of it's overhang (from outside edge to batting edge - this should be 1.5") and iron (helps the fold stay).

Now I fold again over the batting on onto the top, this should be 1.5" (1" over the batting and .5" over the top). Iron again to hold the fold. Now stitch.

Then finish your quilting.

To adjust for different size bindings:

If back overhang is X
Then batting overhang is Y = (X * .25)
First fold of back fabric is Z = (X - Y) / 2

Example:
If your back over hangs by 4" on each side, then X = 4"
So, take one quarer of your ovrhang, and this hsoud be your batting overhang. So, 4" * .25 = 1". The batting overhang from the top should be 1".
Now, fold the back half way to the batting. In this case, the fold will be 1.5" (4" - 1" = 3"; 3" / 2 = 1.5").
Now, you should be able to fold the remaining back over the top of the batting with enough fabric to overlap the top. In this case, 1" over the batting and .5" over the top.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:52 PM

I have been looking for a video on the self binding method...so far no luck. I have seen a few of the tutorials and they are helpful. I am ready to bind...just afraid I am going to do it wrong.