Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self Threading Needles >

Self Threading Needles

Self Threading Needles

Old 11-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Self threading needles save so much time when burying the thread ends while FMQ. Discovered them just before quilting my last quilt and was joyous! It took forever to thread all those ends before. I use the top slit ones and haven't had a problem with thread breakage.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM

I only use mine for burying the threads.......it makes it so much easier, especially if the thread is short.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
there are 2 types of self-threading needles. i am disappointed with the side loading ones. i went back to the end loading ones. the side loading catch on the fabric. neither one, however, is great for sewing for long periods of time... i only have them for burying threads.
For a while, I had trouble with the side loading needles catching on the fabric, or even in batting. Then I discovered that if you look, just before the eye enters the fabric, and make sure the smooth side of the eye is facing up, the opening doesn't catch anything. Usually I have to give the needle a little twist to get that smooth side up...don't know why.

Love Spiral Eye needles. I dropped mine once, when I only had one, and looked all over the floor for it with no luck. Gave up and ordered two, so I'd have a spare. Then I found the dropped one...in my shoe I was wearing!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Jim

When we divided everything that belonged to my Mother after she died in August, I took her sewing basket...there are 4 dozen self threading needles in it. I've never used them but gonna try them out at least once
Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 AM

I heard about the top threading needles here and bought a package. They were called "cheater" needles. I have only one needle left and I can't quilt without that needle. I am so afraid I'll lose it. Does anyone know where I can purchase some more of them?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 AM

I have used the top-loading self-threading needle and don't like it at all. It pulled my W&N batting out thru the back of my quilt each time I pulled the threads thru. Yucky as the quilt back was forest green! Had to go back and "swoop" the needle between the fabric and the batting in an attempt to pull the batting back inside the fabric. Too much work.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 AM

I have a question about 'cheater needles' used to bury threads in free motion quilting. I have the type with the slot on the top and find that they often shred the thread. So if anyone has some that don't do that, please tell me which brand they are.

I've been looking for the side-entry ones in stores but haven't found them. Found 'spiral needles' online -- $16 for two needles. Outrageous. Must be hand made out of platinum - no, even then they wouldn't be so expensive. I'm sure I saw a brand in stores years ago and they were priced like normal needles. Again, has anyone found them, and if so which brand and where?

thanks for your help - I always find the most useful information on this board,

Pam
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM

I have used the top loading ones and like them fine for burying threads. The other thing I have used is a large eye embroidery needle. I do prefer burying my theads.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM
cjr

I tried the side opening for the easy to thread. Ecdge of needle opening got caught in fabric and would not pull thru. After 5 minutes of trying to stitch, put back in package and returned them for a full refund.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM

I find them too thick to stitch with, but wonderful for burying threads. I have the ones where you push the thread into the top.