Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SELLING QUILTS? >

SELLING QUILTS?

SELLING QUILTS?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM

I get these questions all the time because people actually want to buy them. The first time I was asked, was a bit of a surprise and compliment to me, but now I sell them for extra cash so that I can do more.
One time my landlady saw me making a quilt and gave me the money for it before it was finished - she was very brave because it was the first one that I actually completely machine quilted. It turned out OK and she was happy.I have also had people come and ask me to make quilts for their sons, grand kids etc. but I don't like to do it unless I choose the fabric as non - sewers tend to make wrong choices with regard to selecting polyesters or cheap thread products.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I have an older neighbor that thinks that she is doing me a favor when she asks me for a baby quilt....$20 is too much. I willingly give her a discounted price, but I have at least $20 in just materials...and I sell these at craft shows for much more.
When she called me the other day to say she needed a gift for a baby girl, I told her I didn't have anything in stock, but if she would tell me how much she wanted to pay I would make something up for her.
She wants to spend $10....She is getting bibs. I will not do a quilt for $10.
I'm with you - with the prices we pay over here for fabric and notions, it is not worth selling a quilt for less than $600. If they don't want to pay it, it stays with me. I saw women in Maine selling their quilts for $150 and then the same type of quilt was selling in California for $4,000 - and that was in 1983.We should not undermine our skills and the art/craft by underselling its worth.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:33 PM

I know how you feel, I also do bead work and a couple at bingo wanted to see the buckskin shirt I made for DH.
It had mountions on one side and pine trees on the other with bear head in middle. I took 6 months to finish it.
One fellow wanted me to make him 1 and I said it would 600.00. I thought his teeth were going to fall out. lol
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM

I make t-shirt quilts for special people and don't charge nearly enough, I know. I get back what I have in them, supply-wise and a little more. I do it for the pleasure of it. If it became a chore, I'd not do it anymore. Most of the other quilts I make go for charities or gifts. But consider that I am older - 70 years old - and it is a hobby that I do for my own fun.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 PM

I'm a newbie quilter but we have experienced the same type of thing with the lumber and furniture my husband makes. He has a sawmill. He either cuts and hauls the logs or buys them, then he makes lumber. From that he makes some great pieces. People want to pay WalMart prices. We stopped doing custom orders except for the lumber- no more custom furniture. It was a mess and took all the fun out of designing and making a piece.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Atta girl! It's great for people who are able to keep charitable quilting going (for family, friends, and needy people everywhere)!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM

I agree with the general concisus. Not many customers are willing to pay for materials, not to mention adding in a fee for our time involved. I make small projects and no one asks for those LOL
Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Elaine Va
Everywhere I go people ask me if I am still making quilts. Of course, the answer is yes. Then the next question is am I selling them. When I say no - I get this look and then the response "What are you going to do them all"? Some even try to get me to set up stands at the local farmers market, craft shows etc.

My husband has a fishing boat - he catches fish but noone expects him to start selling fish.

It is my hobby I do it for enjoyment. Am I the only one that gets these questions?
My quilts are given to people and charties and the rest I like to look at often. I use them on my bed to keep us warm. lol
My DH also has fishing boat, and every year from April to November we generously pack up haddock and cod he has caught to give to friends and family, and we take them out on the boat fishing if they want to go and do not ask for gas contribution etc. It's a social thing. We have had people ask if he sells fish but that is because Japanese market is so hot for tuna that even casual weekend recreational fishermen are getting caught up in it.

Maybe people ask you if you are selling quilts because yours are very very good and they expect you should go commercial. Figure... a carpenter here in our area earns $35/hour and has to measure and cut and fit wood just as precisely as you do fabric; the work is of course more physical than yours, but figure your labor cost and markup on material and give an 'average' value for a quilt. A sensible and serious answer may get them thinking.

Or ask them why they want to know and if they are potential buyers what price range they are at.

I read the other posts and I find it hard to believe anyone would say $10 or $50. You can't buy a quilt at Bed Bath and Beyond for $50 never mind at Macy's and they are all made by near-slave labor in the third world. Even the church rummage sales can offer better than that pricing!

I say, take it as a compliment!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

I do it for my pleasure and for gifts.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:59 PM

I make quilts for people I want to give them to and I also like my quilts to look at and enjoy. I don't know if my quilts would be good enough to sell, but I would ask what I have in it and the time I spent making it and I'm sure 99% of the people wouldn't buy one.