Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: selvage edges

I know you are supposed to take off 2-3 inches off each edge, but could you explain why-what will happen if you don't, and can you use the edges to make something else? I want to make a birthday quilt, which I saw on this board (great idea!) and want to use the edges as the cake layers. Is that going to give me a quilt that i can give away, and be happy with?

MTS
    Banned
    Who says you have to cut off 2-3inches?
    That's a lot of fabric to be wasting. ;-)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-101584-1.htm

http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/

I don't know why you would waste that much fabric unless you were going to use the selvages to make something from all selvages, to use your fabric you only need to remove about 1/2".

MTS
    Banned
    But I think it's a BRILLIANT idea to use them as the cake layers. BRILLIANT!

Typically, as you'll see in those links I gave you, folks cut from 1" to 1.5" off because they're collecting.

Now, I don't collect, and never specifically cut my selvedges. They get chopped off in the cutting of pieces for blocks. The only time I do it deliberately is if I'm sewing together large WOW pieces for backing (and even then I trim after the sewing).

Please post some pictures of your cakes when you're finished.

I cut off as little as possible when cutting selvages. The part that does not have the color/print is usually about 1/2"

Blog Entries
    I only take off the selvage, .5". Now if I was recycling the selvage then I would cut 2"-3". But I have enough 'scrap' piles, so I have to draw the line.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I don't know why you would waste that much fabric unless you were going to use the selvages to make something from all selvages, to use your fabric you only need to remove about 1/2".
    Same here.

wow- thanks for the info-i am wasting WAY too much--i thought it had something to do with the sizing in making fabric- i learned something VALUABLE today

Recent projects

selvage brooch
    Name:  Attachment-161694.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  56.1 KB

Easter basket
    Name:  Attachment-161699.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  70.4 KB

cu of message
    Name:  Attachment-161700.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  65.1 KB

dotcomtcm: wow! love the easter basket

Blog Entries
    I also cut off as little as possible. Actual amount depends on the type of selvage, some are larger than others.

I've used fabrics into the selvedges when I can just barely get my squares cut out of the width of the fabric. As long as the part of the selvedge is less than my quarter inch seam I don't worry about it. Depending on the quilt I'll even let a little of the selvedge show once in a great while.

I was told at my LQS that the selvages do not stretch like the rest of the cotton. That is why you cut it off.

What a wonderful way to use the leftovers. I have been saving mine to use as dog bed/pillow stuffing.

Here's a DQuilt I made for our DQ hostess!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pugmom
    I was told at my LQS that the selvages do not stretch like the rest of the cotton. That is why you cut it off.

What a wonderful way to use the leftovers. I have been saving mine to use as dog bed/pillow stuffing.
    So? I don't want my fabric to stretch in the first place and once it's quilted it doesn't need to stretch. Most of the time I only cut off a quarter to a half an inch.

I have been scolded for having selvage edges in some charm squares I sent out.
    Why does some fabric print all the way to the edge and some has an inch wide white strip on the edge?

I have always felt that the selvedges have a different "feel" to them than the rest of the fabric. I only cut off what it takes to remove the selvedge. I use them in projects and am in the process of trying to collect enough for a tote bag. I love seeing the different projects that are done with them. I have gotten charm square that still have the selvedges on them and do not use them but cut them down. Usually the swap is pretty clear about making sure the selvedges are cut off before sending the squares. Happy quilting.

Power Poster
    Many times the selvage edges have a "different" weave than the main part of the fabric. Usually tighter/denser.

Sometimes the selvages shrink more (a lot more) than the rest of the fabric.

I usually only cut off the part that is "different" - which varies from 1/4 to about 5/8 of an inch.

Occasionally a manufacturer prints its name an inch or two away from the edge - so then there is some fabric loss to avoid using that.

Quote Originally Posted by pugmom
    Yes, that's right. You don't want the stiff selvages in your quilt, even in the seam allowance. ;)

"Stiff" was exactly the word I was looking for.