Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Selvage Savers Savvy

Selvage Savers Savvy

Let me start by saying, I have not been a selvage saver
    though I have been considering doing so.

I've started this thread to encourage a discussion about Saving Selvages.
    ... the good, the bad and the ugly!!!!

Some questions that could help me, and hopefully many other people ....

1. Do you? or Don't you? save selvages.

2. Why do you save selvages?
    Do you have an end-purpose-project planned? What?
    Do you keep them for historical reference,
    in case you need more later?

3. How much do you keep ... width? length?
    What do you do with them, once they have been cut off?

4. What questions have I not asked? Please answer those too!!
    More commonly known as Other Comments!

Many Thanks to One and All!!

... anything and everything on this subject is most welcome!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 04-27-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Power Poster
    The only time I save selvages is if I think I might want the information printed on them later. Once the quilt is done and I have no need to search for more of the fabric for binding, I use them as string for tying up packages on quilty gifts. I have seen some amazing quilt, totes, pincushion etc. done with them.

I have been saving selvages because there is always someone on this board that wants them. I put them in a ziploc bag and when the bag is full, I post to see if anyone wants them. Our LQS covered a chair with them. That is not for me or my liking. But, to each his own. Someone asked if 1/2" fabric be left on selvage, others like the words and brands on selvages. I just put them in my bag and let the person who gets it decide what they want. I do not measure. You could make cute mug rugs, place mats, table runners, purses, pot holders. You could even make a quilt. That takes lots of selvages

I too save the selvages for the colors in case I need to coordintae colors..After that it becomes filling in a dog beg with the rest of my too small to use scraps

Blog Entries
    I have started to save selvages, trying to be "green, frugal", and helpful to those who want them. I cut about 1/2-3/4" beyond the selvage. I have almost a box full, and hope that someone would want them.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I save the salvages because my DGD loves to play with them when she is at Nanna's house. She ties them on her stuffed animals and makes hair ties for them and then ties them on her plastic horses. She gets quite an enjoyment out of them so the long and short of it, I save them all! I use them when sewing a line to check the stitches whenever I change the bobbin or top thread.

QuiltE, if you want to use them; I will save some for you although I usually don't save them. I cut from salvage to salvage for stripping or blocks on making quilts cutting off that 1/4 or one half salvage piece then toss it.

I started saving selvages because someone in my friendship group was using them to make wallets. She wanted everything I could give her.
    Now, I keep them in a glass jar and they look pretty on the shelf.
    I use them to tie up projects into a bundle, play with the cats, mark out a space on the design wall. I'm thinking of using them to make a purse.
    My DH also uses them for whenever he needs a string or cord.
    Now my jar never seems to get full-too many uses for them.

Blog Entries
    i began saving them when i read so much about them here on the QB. i thought they make good book titles for a library/bookcase quilt. but i'm moving and just threw mine away this week
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

They make great plant ties and by the next year have disintegrated into the ground.

Blog Entries
    I save them and use them in my flower beds and garden to tie up plants... But I have seen lots of cute things made from them....

I'm not an SS (hee hee). I don't because A) I don't plan to use them for anything (although some of the uses in the gardening genre interest me) and B) I RARELY make long cuts - so my salveges are often too small to be of any use (long enough to tie tomato's though ... hmmmm), and C) I have enough work keeping track of my tools, my stash and my scraps ... yet another "container" of something would send me into a fit of some kind.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Okay, I have saved them and everyone in my groups and family know that I do that. I use them on Birthday presents, Christmas presents etc. They are pretty, easy to tie, and everyone knows who that present came from. Also, lots of time the DH needs "string" to tie things in the yard or the garage and always knows he can find that "string" in the "selvege (quilters salvege) basket".
    Busy in Ohio

I save them because I love them... all the possibilities with their neat, finished edge and lineup of cool color spots! That being said, I haven't done anything with mine yet, but I hope to make some cute pincushions and Christmas ornaments with them. I just can't toss them anymore... now that I know what they can be used for!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I will never make a quilt using selvages but I have seen some beautiful work with them.

I use them to tie up bundles of fabric that go to future projects. It all stays together that way.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I only save long lengths of salvages. I figure one day maybe someone would be willing to make a 'donation' for them and I could use the money for the charitable quilts I help with.

Nan
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've just started saving selvages for a project I would like to make...hope it's not impolite to ask, but if anyone has any that they would be willing to share it would make me ever so happy. (send me a pm ....I am definitely willing to pay postage) Thanks!
    ​Connie aka Chigger Holler Quilter

Sorry, I don't save the selvages - I have more than enough fabric to work with so really don't want to obsess out little tiny scraps!

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I'm not an SS (hee hee). I don't because A) I don't plan to use them for anything (although some of the uses in the gardening genre interest me) and B) I RARELY make long cuts - so my salveges are often too small to be of any use (long enough to tie tomato's though ... hmmmm), and C) I have enough work keeping track of my tools, my stash and my scraps ... yet another "container" of something would send me into a fit of some kind.
    QuiltE - DogHouseMom said exactly what I was thinking, I would have to take over another room if I saved selvedges But if you want some I will keep them for you, just let me know
    Karen

I just finished 24 needlebooks, 4 table thread holder bags with pincushion, and 12 bookmarks from some selvages given to me. I have a huge black garbage bag full. Love to make fabric from them and then use it for other things. I plan on a vest and matching bag next.

Yes I do, but not for me. A lady in church has a granddaughter who plans to make some things. I save any size, width, and brand name.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I sent all mine to my sister in Oregon a year ago. Now I'm saving them because I want to use them as book titles on a bookshelf quilt. I've also made fabric out of them - sewn them all together. I seen crafts, such as little bags made out of them and it suits my nature to 'use it all'. I've also seen articles of clothing made from them. I don't save tiny plain white ones and how much I cut off depends on how much of the fabric I need. If I can I leave at least a 1/4 " of the pattern on it.

Blog Entries
    Oh oh--I just got caught red handed!! I started saving them a while ago--why? who knows! I did make a cute little pin cushion chicken that I gave away in a 4-H fundraiser.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...n-t143250.html
    Aren't these cute? Really think I would make more of these as gifts for sewing buddies.
    Name:  237688d1312675200-attachment-237682.jpe
Views: 639
Size:  62.2 KB
    I have made about a 10" block from some-what shall I do with it?
    I cut an inch away from the selvage edge and this usually gives me enough fabric to play with without taking too much from the piece.
    So what are you thinking QE?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

ooooooohhh!!! something NEW to save I will save them if you want QuiltE

SewGlad! those are too cute!!! HEY arent I your buddy??? heehee
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

A few years ago at a quilt show, all the ladies of the guild were wearing aprons that they had made.

My personal favorite was the lady wearing the "Selvage Apron" Bright, colourful and beautiful!
    Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast