Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Serge before you bind?

Yup, I do it all the time. It just seems to make the ends neater and easier to work with.

Blog Entries
    on the baby quilts and the doll quilts I check for square, trim if less than 1/8 of an inch (find the problem if more than that) quilt then check for square again, then serge with the blade disengaged, then bind.

when binding as in piecing it is good to use a single,straight needle throat plate...the zig zag plate is just not able to produce a really nice straight stitch.....this is when my SINGER 301A really shines.

do not my BERNINA hear me say this

I always serge the edges after the quilt is quilted. For me it is easier to get the binding on.

Quote Originally Posted by Monika View Post
    I am wondering if those of you that have sergers use them on your quilts before you sew the binding on. I saw someone on the web (I'm sorry I have since forgotten who) serge the edges to flatten and trim THEN sewed on the binding as usual. I am tempted to try this but I am a serger newbie and somewhat nervous. After all the work on a quilt, I don't want to mess anything up at the end of that sometimes long road.
    I sometimes do a very loose slip stitch all around a sandwich to keep the fabrics stable to do binding. A serger might serve the same purpose.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I always square up my quilt when I get it back from the quilter's and see that she's sewn a line about 1/16" all around the outside of the quilt and I usually have to cut a lot of it off to square it up. I don't sew it back down. I just bind it as usual. But I do sew my binding together so they don't drift apart when sewing. I learned that trick a few years ago and it's made a world of difference. Takes a little extra time, but it's so worth it. I sew 1/8" of the raw edge of the binding edges to each other before sewing them to the quilt.
    I also sew my binding edges together before sewing it to the quilt. It really does help to make it go on better. Especially with bias cut binding.

I also DO NOT press the binding in half - because by the time the binding has made all it's turns -the half-way line is 'off' where the fold line actually is by the time the binding is ready for it's second stitching.

I do makes it easier to put the binding on an faster

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    I never trim the batting or backing before applying the binding. The extra batting makes an even surface for the feed dogs and presser foot. Also I like to leave a little extra batting beyond the seam so as I turn the binding to the back side to hand finish I can be sure the binding is full of batting. It is my understanding this is one thing judges look for. That is my goal to enter a quilt in a show someday. I have also heard fuller binding lasts linger.
    I was wondering if anyone would mention this. Thanks! I hand baste around the edge as I hand quilt to hold the three layers together, but remove the basting after I machine stitch on the binding so the batting can fluff up and fill out the binding, making it nice and full and give a finish matching the thickness of the quilt.
    Thimble and Thread

I just stitch around the perimeter of the quilt , just under 1/4 inch from the edge. My serger make too wide of a stitch just over 1/4 inch from edge( its an older machine), and most of my bindings are sewn on at 1/4 inch.

I sew the binding on before trimming the batting and back. After the binding is on, I trim around it with pinking shears.

I just purchased a serger last week and the first thing I did was use it to cut and overcast the edge of my current wall hanging. It made it a breeze and kept all my layers in place for the binding. I think this is the way I will be working on all my quilt edges from now on! Good luck with your project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I also DO NOT press the binding in half - because by the time the binding has made all it's turns -the half-way line is 'off' where the fold line actually is by the time the binding is ready for it's second stitching.
    ME TOO!!! It really makes a HUGE difference in how my bindings look. Even my husband can tell which of my bindings were pressed and which ones were not.

Blog Entries
    I tried sergering the edges one time. I didn't like the feel after the binding was put on.

I've heard about not pressing your binding in half bc after you sew then turn, the edge is not at the exact half way. I think I'll try not pressing. Wish this had been posted yesterday before I sewed the binding on.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

I serge around each of my quilts so that the binding lays flat and all three layers are nicely pulled together. I went to a quild open house of various quilters and at the last home was asked if there was anything I saw missing in any of the quilting areas....my response was 'not a serger in the bunch'. Thought they were going to run me out of town on a rail!!! Was then told that 'a good quilter would never use a serger on her quilts'. Hummm, yesterday's Fons and Porter's show on PBS showed that THEY SERGE. As for me, I'm still serging the edge just before attaching the binding and it works wonderfully....

I always serge mine--after quilting. It makes the edged so much easier to work with. Try it--you
    ll like it!

Just extra work for nothing.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I don't have a serger but I do stitch 1/8" around the edges to hold them together while I stitch on the binding.

Yes, yes, yes!!!
    MLOQuilts

Blog Entries
    I guess that I am a rebel...I even pieced a quilt on a serger and boy did it ever go fast. I loved doing it and there were no hanging threads off the edge. Years ago, I made baby quilts for my granddaughters (now 25 and 26) and did the edges on the serger. Obviously, baby quilts get washed frequently and they held up great.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    I never trim the batting or backing before applying the binding. The extra batting makes an even surface for the feed dogs and presser foot. Also I like to leave a little extra batting beyond the seam so as I turn the binding to the back side to hand finish I can be sure the binding is full of batting. It is my understanding this is one thing judges look for. That is my goal to enter a quilt in a show someday. I have also heard fuller binding lasts linger.
    This sounds like a good idea, I have so much trouble sewing the binding on with 1/4" seam, the quilt seems to go all over the place, so that some parts are 1/4", some are 3/8", sometimes I get 1/8"! But - at this point, are you confident that your quilt top is square? You can't square it up after the binding is on. I like this idea, but how do you handle squaring up the top? Thanks!
    "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy!"

I zig zag my quilts before binding, that way I can be certain that all the layers are together. I use a long,wide zig zag, about a 5mm length and width.
    Sharon W.

It sounds good in theory but by the time I'm at the binding stage I'm like a horse heading for the barn and would not want to do an extra step.

I once surged around a big quilt and it worked like a charm. Then I did around a lap robe, and it didn't work at all. I scliced the surging off, and the quilt got a quarter inch smaller. Then the border was smaller than I had planned, and doesn't look as nice. I don't know what I did wrong that time. I've never done it again, and I won't.

I once surged around a big quilt and it worked like a charm. Then I did around a lap robe, and it didn't work at all. I sliced the surging off, and the quilt got a quarter inch smaller. Then the border was smaller than I had planned, and doesn't look as nice. I don't know what I did wrong that time. I've never done it again, and I won't.

I do. It makes me feel like there is less chance of raveling. I serge everything I can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2