Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serge before you bind? >

Serge before you bind?

Serge before you bind?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 PM

If my serger is threaded with a neutral thread when I finish quilting, I will use it before binding. I use my serger for finishing seams on garments all the time. I'm comfortable with using it and can just trim the ravels off the edges as I stitch. I like the way the serged edge behaves while I apply the binding. I don't need to pin as much.

Serging might be more advantageous on pieced borders/edges where you have lots of seams coming up to the edge. I also think it could be an additional way to secure the quilting stitches at the edge.

Last edited by elizajo; 06-02-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I have never serged before doing binding....but I just might try it! Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Well here is my report on my practice piece. My serger is new and I haven't taken the class. I might have to adjust something, but the pressure of the serger knocked my piece out of square. I'm not going to do anything to it, because it isn't a real quilt. It was fun to just skim the edge and make everything even. If there are some hints regarding tension, type of stitch, etc. I will await them. I am using the 4 threads and have a pretty wide stitch.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I like to square up my quilt and cut it with my rotary cutter so that's perfectly square, before putting on the binding. I don't see how you could use the serger to cut it and get it square so it hangs just right.
My thinking as well!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
I always do before I put binding on....works like a charm and takes only a few minutes.....i don`t serge before I send it to a longarmer...only after it is quilted.....I love this technique and makes it easier to sew the binding on....
How wide do you make your binding? I make mine 2 1/2 inches. Do you think that is wide enough to cover the overcasting sistches?

Last edited by Monika; 06-02-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM

I never trim the batting or backing before applying the binding. The extra batting makes an even surface for the feed dogs and presser foot. Also I like to leave a little extra batting beyond the seam so as I turn the binding to the back side to hand finish I can be sure the binding is full of batting. It is my understanding this is one thing judges look for. That is my goal to enter a quilt in a show someday. I have also heard fuller binding lasts linger.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 PM

You can adjust the length and width of serger stitches. You can either drop the cutting blade or just barely skim the edge to clip any ravels without removing fabric.

If the tension settings are correct there shouldn't be any pulling out of square. I always practice first on scraps. I have a quilt that needed binding, but I couldn't find a fabric that I liked. It has had an exposed serged edge for 8 years and gets washed about 3 times a month.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 PM

I never trim the batting before applying the binding either. I just think triming with the serger would be so quick and I think I would be easier to get the binding on in a straight line. I always seem to trim (after the binding is applied) a little wonky.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 AM

I don't think you'd mess things up. I have a friend who serges just because then it marks her quilt as being done except for the quilting process. She knows in a glance that's all it needs to be done and it also keeps it all together. When I get things together I'm getting my very old serger out and see if it still works and if I still remember how to use it and start. I've even bought the book by Nancy Z. on serging and quilting. Go for it.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
My thinking as well!
You don't have to use the blade when serging; you can serge without cutting. Sqareing up is a good idea then serge.